Saturday, September 17, 2016

A521.6.3.RB_BorutyAlan_High Performance Teams

High Performance Teams


In his discussion on High Performance Teams, Denning (2011) provides a compare contrast look between high-performance teams and communities concluding that high performance teams do resemble communities but the opposite is not true.  Communities rarely meet the criteria of a team. 

High performance teams meet the criteria of a team: (Denning, 2011)

-         Clear, specific objective
-         Appropriate leadership and membership
-         Necessary resources

High performance teams adhere to community elements: (Denning, 2011)

-         They produce things
-         Adapt quickly to change by adjusting their performance in real time
-         Steadily grow stronger with time.  Start working as one synergistic entity
-         individual growth based on mutual concerns for each other
-         work committed
-         If one fail’s ,we all fail mentality

High-performance teams take on an identity, personality and existence of their own.  The members develop an extremely high level of mutual trust, and become unconditionally committed to the team.  Members attend to each other’s development and training needs and ultimately establish an environment of innovation and continuous improvement (Whetten & Cameron, 2016).

I have not been a member of a high performance team.  Reading about the characteristics of these teams and what they morph into sounds almost unbelievable to me.  I have served on many teams through the years.  Most of them were very effective, a few not as much.  In the end the job was completed.  The closest to a high performance team would have been the teams that deployed to Saudi Arabia in the mid 1980’s.  We had a constant presence with 24-hour coverage surveilling Iran/Iraq disagreements.  Maintenance personnel rotated in and out every 30 – 45 days.  The team members were selected so that all of the aircraft systems had qualified technicians.  The team, once assembled, totaled 30 maintainers. 

The team had a clear goal to continue the mission without incident.  Maintenance leadership comes in the form of a production superintendent.  The Pro Super is a senior maintainer normally with extensive airframe experience. The pro Super choreographs all maintenance activities.  For the first few days everyone was figuring things out. Generally speaking if you did not have work, you did not go out to the flight line.  Everyone got along but it was awkward.  After that week everyone was comfortable with the routine and each other and the team did start behaving differently.  Looking back on it, it did have some of the high performance characteristics. Whenever we launched or recovered an aircraft, everyone was on the flight line.  We helped where we could and did whatever was necessary to get the job done.  The flight line was either full of maintainers or shut down.  The same was true of the breakroom.  We absolutely trusted each other and never let each other down.  We gained a sense of pride in our work.  We strove for flawless launches and the fastest time getting an aircraft ready to fly the next mission.  Towards the end of our deployment, the team was like a well-oiled machine.  We were efficient and very effective even under the pressure of a system failure  By the end of our time, we were inseparable, but ready to go home.  Maybe I have been part of a high performance team.  It did not contain all of the traits, but we definitely evolved into something different and better than we were when we arrived.

In the Air Force you are issued the appropriate values for working on aircraft.  Just to mention a few, we followed procedures, reported anomalies, did the work we said we did, documented our actions properly, and never put our self, a coworker, an aircraft, or flight crew in an unsafe condition.  Each and every one of us shared those values and we did not compromise.  The fact that we all came from different backgrounds and had differing values off the flight line simply did not affect work on the flight line.  However, if our issued values faltered or were disregarded, it would have been met with serious consequences and immediate action to correct the situation.  This would include ceasing all flying activities pending investigation.  It would have been a serious offence because lives are at stake.  Having those shared values is what makes collaboration possible in aircraft maintenance.

Work groups, teams, communities, and networks are the primary means in which people work together.  Work groups are how most organizations are structured. For example, I was assigned to the Radar shop with every other Radar technician.  We all did the same job, had the same boss, and the same career path. 

Teams are assembled by an organization to attend to a specific objective, members are selected by the organization and bring specific skills to the team, members share the specific objective and also share the responsibility to get the work done.  When the work is accomplished and the objective is met the team is disbanded (Denning, 2011). 

Communities in the organization is a new term for me.  The concept, however, is not new.  A community is a group of people who share the same interests, practices, and values.  They share information with each other to advance their knowledge on a subject.  They are like-minded people that share knowledge and values.  Networks are similar to communities, but they are different.  The primary differences are a perceived benefit in network membership and in networks there is no commitment to shared values. (Denning, 2011).

I have always preferred to work alone.  I think clearer and more logically.  At least that is what I thought.  I was assigned to a team...again.  It seemed like I had been selected for every detail that came up.  All I wanted was to work on airplanes.  This particular team was to assess and make recommendations for what was kept on bench stock (consumable items).  I did not want to do it and I had an attitude.  What I learned is attitudes are contagious. I complained daily.  I put more importance in finishing the job than I did doing the job right.  As a result, I did not do my best work.  Neither did the rest of the team.  They simply followed my lead.  The other team members were released and I got new team mates.  The second time I got it right. I checked my attitude before work. 

Many years later, I was selected to lead the team that would plan a formal Ball which would be the Keesler AFB celebration of the U.S. Air Force 49th Birthday.  I had done events like this in the past that did not go well.  So I was not very excited.  We held the first meeting and it went well.  Turnout was good and we accomplished assigning people to all of the different committees.  I asked everyone to give it some thought before volunteering for any of the committees.  I also asked them not to take on the responsibility if they knew of anything coming up that might prevent them from giving the committee their best effort.  Everyone kept their committee.  From that point meetings were well attended, each committee provided updates, asked questions, and sought opinions from other team members.  The banquet went off without a major issue and was fantastic.  The guests were thrilled.  I am not sure why this event was so different.  The only thing I did differently was ask that everyone personally commit themselves and their time to this important event.  Is that what made the difference?  I do not know to be certain, but I am glad the ball was such a success. The next day we all met for lunch.  Then we cleaned up the ballroom. 

~Pete

References:
Denning, S. (2011). The Leader's Guide to Storytelling: Mastering the Art and Discipline of Business Narrative. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

Whetten, D. A., Cameron, K. S. (2016), Developing management skills (Ninth edition). Pearson Education, Inc. ISBN: 978-0-13-312747-8. (student edition)

No comments:

Post a Comment