Monday, September 12, 2016

A521.5.4.RB_BorutyAlan_Aligning Values

Aligning Values
As I sat down to write this blog post, I read the instruction/prompt and I absolutely drew a blank.  Although I have read Denning’s text and taken the assessment, I just did not know how to answer the question.  So, I stopped trying to write and began to re-read the material again.  I succeeded in confusing myself more.  I settled on the answer, yes organizations have values.  They define the boundaries in which an organization operates.  It takes people and action to bring the values to life.  People must accept the values and commit their work ethic to enforcing organizational values but also produce in a way that generates profit while operating within the confines of the values.  Since most people generally have their own set of values and beliefs since their childhood, the process can become complicated.

When people apply to an organization that has established values, they read the values and make a determination whether the match is compatible with their values.  If so they go to work.  If not they either walk away or accept the differences as something they can live with.  If an organization that is currently operating with valued employees has to start the process of developing values, it can get messy.  I realize this was not the question.  Bear with me.  I am getting there.
 
Organizational values are usually developed by the senior leaders of the organization. Then they are shared with the entire organization.  The top team are best in deciding what values their business embodies.  They have a few choices to make before developing a values statement.  What type of value system does the business practice?  I am hoping that robber baron or hardball strategist are never picked.  The developers must be able to answer questions about the organization or understand the business enough to make the right choices in value development  What type of values do we possess?  Are we using instrumental or ethical values?  They have to be able to distinguish between personal and corporate values.. They must distinguish between operational and espoused values. Instrumental values are generally critical for the well-being of the company while ethical values are more in line .

After the decisions have been made and the values have been developed, there is another decision to make.  Will our new values be shared values?  In a Study.com (n,d,) article I found on line,  shared values is defined as “organizational values that are usually developed by the organization's leadership and then adopted by the other members of the organization. The values are shared and followed by all members of the organization when acting on behalf of the organization. They may also be referred to as core values” (n.p.).  Shared values provide guidance for organizational decision making and serve as an ethical compass for action.

Now that the values have been created, transforming them into something other than words on paper will take leadership commitment and action.  Things like arranging information segments ast commander’s calls, conducting briefings, presenting video of values in action.  It really needs to be a media blitz to allow enough time for these new values to begin influencing behavior.

The components of an ethical community are trust, loyalty, and solidarity.  Using the Air Force as my organization, I believe it is already an ethical community.  It can be witnessed in and shop on any base on a daily basis.  Airmen at every level demonstrate the components of an ethical community.It is not always perfect  but the effort is always there.Tthe three components are demonstrated at every level.

References:
Denning, S. (2011). The Leader's Guide to Storytelling: Mastering the Art and Discipline of Business Narrative. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment