Monday, September 5, 2016

A521.4.3.RB_BorutyAlan_Subtleties of Communication and Hidden Messages

Subtleties of Communication and Hidden Messages

I have enjoyed writing since grade school.  Through writing I learned to appreciate the power of words.  Words can enlighten, inspire and create, but they can also hurt, mislead, or belittle when used according to definition alone.  When you add the human factors of body language, paralanguage, and hidden agendas, words can take on deeper meaning and/or tell a different story altogether. 

Words account for just seven percent of the total message delivered.  The remaining 93 percent is transmitted via paralanguage and body language to include gestures and facial expressions.  Often we are unaware of the non-verbal messages we communicate.  A problem occurs when our non-verbal message contradicts our spoken words.  Our non-verbal message is more believable than the verbal.  In this case the audience receives a message different than the one you thought you delivered (McKay, Davis, & Fanning, 2009).  When our non-verbal cues do not match up with their accompanying words or if the non-verbal cues do not align with themselves our message is incongruent.  Incongruence indicates a problem with our message.  It could be a lack of commitment on the subject from the speaker, or personal conflicts with the message.  Either way the message is considered suspect and the speaker’s effectiveness is reduced.  For example, my unit was preparing for a scheduled deployment.  We were gathering the equipment to support the deployment and getting it ready to be put on pallets for shipment.  This is not a complicated process, but it is tedious and can be confusing which is the state we were in when the commander (my boss) arrived.  When he asked the Airman how things were going, he got the panic response of a confused and inexperienced Airman that thought he had messed up the entire operation and truly believed he was in trouble. When I looked at the issue, I knew what happened.  Correcting the problem would cost us a few hours but it was not going to be a problem.  Unfortunately the boss could not 'un-hear' what the Airman told him.  So his direction was for us to start over and reprocess two days’ worth of equipment.  This would have actually put us four days behind and was completely unnecessary.  I tried to explain, but did not want to disagree with my boss publicly so we walked and spoke privately.  Unfortunately, he had convinced himself and there was no changing his mind.  I was unhappy…no, I was angry.  But the decision was made.  Now it was up to me to implement it as if it were my idea.  I spoke to the team and explained why this was the right way to correct the problem and I told them how we would proceed.  I was not able to convince them that I believed what I was telling them and they called me on it.  I was still angry when I talked to them.  I was able to put words together to relay the message, but not my nonverbal cues.  They asked me if I had gotten in trouble with the commander.  What they told me was I was not acting normal.  I did not seem to be myself.  What they saw was incongruence in my message.  I explained everything again. I was not happy to have the team redo work that I knew was good.  But the boss’s way was not wrong, just a little extra work.  I learned that I needed to calm down before I briefed the team.  There was no harm done and the work was completed.   I still did not like that I compromised the message.  Emotions are hard to overcome.

Since speakers are often unaware of the non-verbal cues they transmit, and non-verbal cues are such a large part of the total message, and non-verbal cues are seen as more honest, the speaker has to become consciously aware of and control their non-verbal cues to ensure the message they sends is congruent.

McKay et al. (2009) stresses “awareness of incongruence in your own non-verbal messages can make you a much more effective communicator” (p, 60).  It may not be easy, but it can be done and it will be worth it.  You will learn when you are most likely to display negative non-verbal cues and the associated feelings.  Then you can work on changing your reactions.  Self-assessment is one way to start becoming aware.  Another way would be to have a trusted friend evaluate and help.   You can also record yourself and objectively but critically view the recording.  It would not hurt to have that friend watch with you.  As you become more aware of your own tendencies you can improve your message congruency, the key to non-verbal communication (McKay et al., 2009).

Paralanguage is of the voice, it is not the words but how our voice delivers each word.  There are six elements: pitch, resonance, articulation, tempo, volume, and rhythm.  These elements are incredibility important because they can tell who you are and how you feel.   
Paralanguage is varied during normal conversations to avoid becoming monotone and losing your audience.  A monotone voice sends the message that you are not interested in your message.  All of us  have known this person at some point.  After a minute or two it is almost impossible to listen to anymore.  After another minute, you are sorry you do not have an appointment with the dentist.  I have known a few.  One way to verify if you vary your paralanguage is to seek feedback from a trusted colleague.  McKay, et al., (2009) recommends “recording yourself having a normal conversation.  Wait at least twenty-four hours before listening to the replay, so you can be more objective….As you listen to the recording, consider the following: 1. Does your voice reflect what you want to say?; 2. Is your voice congruent with the words you speak?; 3. Is there something about your voice that you dislike?” (p. 73). Once the questions are answered, practice with the recorder and change your voice and use that friend again.

I believe most people are guilty of using metamessages from time to time especially those of us who have sarcastic tendencies.  The metamessage is the second-level message and communicates the speaker’s attitudes and feelings.  Metamessages are largely from rhythm, pitch, and verbal modifiers. Using the voice to emphasize a word, using inflection or adding a verbal modifier change an innocent statement into an attack.

True metamessages are veiled attacks the speaker is afraid to say directly.  If on the receiving side of a metamessage, you have to make sure it was an attack and then repeat out loud what you think the speaker meant and ask if that is what they really believe and intended.  Not doing these two steps will leave without knowing and the issue will not be resolve (McKay, et al, 2009).  This method will hopefully result in a direct conversation that is productive.

Hidden agendas are something most people do occasionally.  If it becomes habit all the time it is unhealthy and could require professional intervention.  There are eight agendas: “I’m good”, “I’m good (but you’re not)”, “You’re good (but I’m Not)”, “I’m helpless, I suffer”, “I’m blameless”, “I’m fragile”, “I’m tough”, and “I know it all.”

There are two reasons that people use hidden agendas.  The first purpose is to build and protect an existential position in the world.  The agenda becomes an individual strategy for coping with core feelings of inadequacy.  Secondly, agendas promote ulterior motives and needs (McKay, et al., 2009).  When I read through the agendas, I must admit having hidden behind a few of them at times in my life.  I will pay closer attention and listen to myself to understand how often.  I do not believe it is an issue for me but, no one does…

I have witnessed each of these hidden agendas in people I have met over the years.  To read the descriptions in text, you would think that it would be immediately obvious in a person’s behavior.  It is not that easy to spot, but once you do you cannot see anything else. 

McKay, et al., (2009) insists that the agendas are adaptive and serve a purpose, but ultimately your maneuvers isolate you.  In the end, they wall you off from the relief of being know and accepted for who you are” (p. 86).

It is hard enough to communicate effectively on a consistent basis.  It takes commitment and effort to successfully transmit the message you intend to an audience and have that audience receive that message and interpret it as you intended.  But to work so diligently only to have your own body language and vocal qualities betray you during the presentation just seems wrong.  It can be overcome; I suppose I should add it to the list.

Reference:
McKay, M., Davis, M., & Fanning, P. (2009). Messages: The communication skills book. Oakland, CA. New Harbinger Publications Inc.


No comments:

Post a Comment