Monday, June 20, 2016

A520.3.4.RB_BorutyAlan - Supportive Communication

Supportive Communication


First, I must say I am sold on this concept and was so as quickly as I read about it.  I finished my undergrad degree in 1997 and have not been back in the academic environment until now, so unfortunately, this is my first exposure to supportive communication.  I have been a proponent of honest, open, and sincere leadership/communication since my first few attempts to adapt myself to the current research trends failed miserably (in my assessment).  This is not an attempt at ‘I thought of it first’ because I did not.  What I did was purely survival, but it worked well for me.  I see supportive communication almost as the missing link to leadership research.  I do not know why anyone would choose to communicate differently.  Supportive communication brings the leader/subordinate relationship from Adult>>>Child to Adult>>>Adult.  The theory is mature, the research is vast and incredibly supportive, and it just makes since.  Supportive communication is powerful.  Its overall impact to the management/leadership field is extensive.  Yet, everyone wins.  The benefits touch everyone involved and the negatives are limited to having to be taught the skill and it requires effort do it correctly.

According to Whetten & Cameron, “supportive communication seeks to preserve or enhance a positive relationship between you and another person while still addressing a problem, giving negative feedback, or tackling a difficult issue” (p. 193).  The positive interpersonal relationship being preserved is actually leveraged to allow the open, honest, and frank discussion between the two communicators.   Based on the mutual respect of the communicators, the end result is likely a positive relationship that has been enhanced or strengthened by the experience.  Supportive communication is a deliberate, purposeful skill that must be learned and practiced to master.  It will require an investment of time and effort from the organization and the individual managers, but the potential return on that investment is far greater than just preserving positive relationships during difficult situations.  The individuals in an organization that promotes a supportive environment are less stressed, healthier, better performers, less distracted, have less conflict, fewer problems, and make better decisions.  The organization will likely be more productive, solve problems faster, see increases in quality, and have less conflicts.  The organization’s customer, in turn, benefits through on-time delivery, quality product, and more responsive customer service (Whetten & Cameron, 2016).

Supportive communication also helps individuals grow in commitment to the organization’s goals and objectives as well as form a trust in management.  Quality task-related communication helps create commitment.  On the other hand, establishing trust is dependent on the quality of non-task-related communication (de Ridder, 2004).  In other words it is not just about what you discuss, but also how deeply and detailed that discussion becomes. 

There are eight attributes of supportive communication.  I am not going to list them all here, but I will highlight the ones that the CEO of Cerna violated in a message to his company managers. 
 “We are getting less than 40 hours of work from a large number of our K.C.-based EMPLOYEES. The parking lot is sparsely used at 8:00 A.M.; likewise at 5 P.M. As managers – you either do not know what your EMPLOYEES are doing; or you do not CARE. You have created expectations on the work effort that allowed this to happen inside Cerner, creating a very unhealthy environment. In either case, you have a problem and you will fix it or I will replace you. NEVER in my career have I allowed a team that worked for me to think they had a 40-hour job. I have allowed YOU to create a culture that is permitting this. NO LONGER.”
Supportive communication is best accomplished face-to-face.  Technology such as e-mail tends to limit the communication as well as make it one sided and impersonal.  Sending an e-mail with less than complimentary content to 400 managers will serve only to insult, anger, disillusion, and embarrass them.  This type of communication also makes supportive listening impossible.  Supportive listening is the highest ranked of the skills deemed important for managers to possess.  The CEO begins the message with an assumption that is stated as fact.  This likely will make the manager argumentative.  The statement that begins “As managers…” violates several of the attributes. First, this is a global statement and not specific enough to even discuss.  Second it is evaluative and leaves no room for other possibilities.  Third, it is directly aimed at the people, not focused on the problem.  Lastly, it is a disrespectful and inflexible attack likely to cause a defensive reaction from managers.  The very next statement accuses every manager of creating an unhealthy environment is a disconfirmation statement and likely to make the managers feel small and incompetent.  “In either case, you have a problem…” fails the ownership attribute.  The problem is all the managers’ fault and the repair is the managers responsibility.  The last two lines serve only to make the managers feel less than the CEO.  It is also threatening to the managers’ flexibility to operate as they deem important (Whetten & Cameron, 2016).

There is literally nothing supportive about this communication.  It would however do two things. First it would make the CEO appear to be an immature fool.  And then, it would cause wide spread  dissent throughout the company among his managers which, depending on their maturity, could cause a serious snowball effect that temporarily brings his company to a halt.

In the organization, this short e-mail will cause much more trouble than it corrects.

References:
De Ridder, J. A. (2004). Organisational communication and supportive employees. Human Resource Management Journal14(3), 20-30.

Whetten, D. A., Cameron, K. S. (2016), Developing management skills (Ninth edition). Pearson Education, Inc. ISBN: 978-0-13-312747-8. (student edition)

No comments:

Post a Comment