Tuesday, June 14, 2016

A520.3.1.RB_BorutyAlan - Decision Making Styles

Decision Making Styles

I have never given any thought to the fact that there are different styles of decision-making, but I know it has to be true.  People are different; we think differently, react to input differently, and we are motivated by different things.  So, it only makes sense that we would recognize, analyze, and resolve issues or solve problems differently (Decision Making Strategies (Styles), 2004).  I selected the words that apply to me from the list the narrator provided in the video, but I cannot say that say that I always follow the same pattern, process or style.  The words I selected were:

Cautious over Risk-Taking
Intuitive over Logical
Influenced by Others over Self-Motivated
Rational over Emotional
Passive over Active
Quiet over Assertive

When I went back over these words and their opposites, I realized that I have used each of the styles at one point or another in my career.  We probably do fall into a comfortable style making simple day-to-day decisions, but I believe some decisions require a specific style that may or may not be in our comfort zone.  I believe it makes more sense that we would adjust our style based on the decision we are making much like we would adjust our approach to counseling based on the situation. For example, I would approach taking a loved one off life support differently than deciding what I will eat for lunch, I may take a risk at lunch and try something I have never had before.  Either way, I would certainly handle those two issues differently.

This exercise made me think about how I make decisions.  Truthfully, I am not sure.  I know what I do when faced with a decision, but it is difficult to describe.  I do not get out pencil and paper and follow a step-by-step process and I cannot say that I do it the same way every time.  First, I make sure that I fully understand the problem then I think about it until the solution comes to me.  I consider several options but the right one just seems to fit best.  Then I think about how to implement the decision.  I do not even write it down until I am ready to implement it. It is as close to a process as I can describe, but it has always served me well.  In a different video in the same series the narrator defines a very similar process as Intuitive (Decision Making Strategies (Intuitive), 2004).  I am not sure intuitive is the correct word for me to use because the answer does not just appear to me without effort.  However, when I find the answer it does feel right and I rarely second-guess it. 

When faced with a decision that I do not feel fully qualified to make, my ‘think it through’ style will not work.  If I lack the expertise to fully understand the problem or if I know the decision is larger than my scope of responsibility or will affect other work centers, working as a team member and using a mechanical, step-by-step process is more appropriate and effective.

Note: The citation is the same for both videos since they are part of the same running series.  So, I altered them slightly in the text and in the list of references for clarification.

References:

Decision-making strategies (Styles) [Video file]. (2004). In Films On Demand. Retrieved June 14, 2016, from fod.infobase.com/PortalPlaylists.aspx?wID=-1&xtid=34513

Decision-making strategies (Intuitive) [Video file]. (2004). In Films On Demand. Retrieved June 14, 2016, from fod.infobase.com/PortalPlaylists.aspx?wID=-1&xtid=34513

No comments:

Post a Comment