Monday, June 6, 2016

A520.1.4.RB_BorutyAlan Self-Awareness

Self-Awareness

A520.1.4.RB


Looking back at my blog posts, I noticed that I already have an entry titled Self-Awareness. So, I read it.  It probably should have been titled 'Authentic Leadership'.  The only pertinent thing I found in it is the amount of research that has been completed and the amount still in work and the amount yet to come is mind boggling!  Self-Awareness is definitely the buzz phrase in the leadership and management disciplines right now.  All of it seems to indicate that self-awareness is significantly and directly tied to effective leadership.  Most of it makes sense to me,  almost at the common sense level.  Some of it is still a bit fuzzy but I will continue to think it through until I completely understand it because in my gut, I believe the researchers are on the mark.  Either way, I benefit from it.

I must admit coming in to this module, I thought I was more self-aware than it turns out I am.  The concept is not new to me although the definition has evolved.  What used to be a passive, thinking activity is now an active task and apparently it is required. 

After completing the self-assessment and scoring a few points over the mean, I know I have some work to do.  I am up for it.

This is my third course in the MSLD program.  The subject of self-awareness came up in the first course I took.  Critical Thinking was the subject.  It is a reflective, step by step process where one reasons through information using a set of specific elements resulting in a much deeper understanding of the information and /or better decisions made. Questioning the data using each element helps determine the concepts, point of reference, assumptions, implications, etc., associated with the data.  It also drives questioning ones self  to help avoid applying personal bias or  being judgmental over touchy subjects (Nosich, 2012).   Critical thinking is a powerful tool that uses self-evaluation and reflection to understand things clearer. In doing so, it has improved my self-awareness of personal bias, trigger subjects and preconceived notions I never knew I had.  Those no longer influence my thinking or my decisions.

This week I learned there are five core aspects of Self-Awareness:  emotional intelligence, personal values, cognitive style, attitude toward change and core self-evaluation (Whetten, D., & Cameron, K., 2016).  When I read the text on each aspect, honestly, I felt a sense of 
dread.  First I should know more about the subject or be further along than I am.  Secondly, and the real reason for the feeling, I immediately knew this is something I need to do for myself for personal and professional growth, but I also know it is going to be an uncomfortable process.  After the initial realization and my acceptance the feeling was gone. How has my self-awareness changed since starting the MSLD program?  Significantly and positively is my answer.  I take time each day for reflection, really.  I look at my day, dot the i's and cross the t's, plan any necessary do-overs, then I let it go. 

The five aspects of self-awareness are a bit more complex but not really any different.  I look at each objectively to determine the best way forward.  One bite at a time is my plan.  I will retake all of the assessments at a later date to look for changes.

Emotional Intelligence:  As with anything there is room for growth and improvement.  I believe I can correctly diagnose and manage my own emotions and my relationships with others.  I am also sensitive to emotional changes in people I know.  I don't overreact to new input nor do I respond out of emotion.  

Personal Values: This is another aspect I am comfortable with my self-awareness level. I am at the conformity level of values maturity.  I could see myself act from the principled level based on the circumstances but it would be the exception. I am very ethical. Honesty and integrity are the standard for my behavior, always.

Cognitive Style:   I have never given this aspect of self-awareness any consideration until this week.  I can say I fit snugly and comfortably into the knowing style.  I could shift into planning but not easily. The creating style is not an option.

Attitude Toward Change: I do not embrace change.  This is an area I feel I need to improve upon simply because change and a lot of it is destined to be the norm. I need to suck it up or I could find different ways to cope with change.  I also have very little tolerance for ambiguity.  Ambiguous problems and scenarios drive me to instant frustration.  Additionally, I have an internal locus of control.  I am responsible for my own actions.

Core Self-Evaluation:   My assessment put me in the 3rd quartile overall. I think that is in line with what I expected.  I feel like I have and maintain an overall positive self-regard.

I suppose I have some work to do.  It is a little daunting considering the fact that I considered myself  to be at a high level of self-awareness at the beginning of the week.  Oh well...

Seriously, I learned quite a bit about myself this week and found the subject to be very interesting if not enjoyable.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  ~Pete                                                            

References: 

Nosich, G. M. (2012). Learning to think things through: Critical thinking across the curriculum. Columbus, OH: Prentice Hall.



Whetten, D. A., Cameron, K. S. (2016), Developing management skills (Ninth edition). Pearson Education, Inc. ISBN: 978-0-13-312747-8. (student edition)

No comments:

Post a Comment