Monday, June 13, 2016

A520.2.3.RB_BorutyAlan - Conflict Resolution

Conflict Resolution

Sometimes I subconsciously assign a definition to a word, apply a specific usage for the word, attach a visual to it so that every time I hear the word, I get the mental picture to reinforce the assigned meaning, and then I lock it in.  There are only a handful of words in my head that are stuck like this and conflict is one of them.  I have tried, but try as I may to change it, I cannot make it good, healthy, beneficial or anything other than...well...bad.  Initially, we used the word conflict to describe the wars in Korea and Vietnam.  Another of those stuck words is donut.  Did you see a pastry, a spare tire, or a wax seal?  I knew it was not just me!

This material is not new to me.  I have been through it numerous times in training seminars, lectures, and formal courses that I attended while I was in the Air Force.  The natural assumption would be that I have some expertise on the subject or that I am comfortable with the process.  I do not and I am not.  I am the typical ‘avoider’ Whetten and Cameron describe in the text book (2016).  Seriously, like many others, I am uncomfortable with conflict and confrontation.  Unfortunately, my comfort level never changed the fact that conflict in the work place is alive and well.  I have been the mediator more times than I care to recall, but have only had an active role in the conflict once.  If it makes a difference, I was actually the initiator.  In my defense, it all started with what I thought was a simple question.  Unfortunately, this is my only defensible point.

I was a brand new Master Sergeant at the time.  I was transitioning from the Lead Radar Technician position to Production Superintendent.  I was a few weeks into the transition at the most and was still having trouble changing my perspective from specifically focused on Radar issues to generalized focus on every specialty that works on the aircraft.  (If I knew this then, I would not have admitted it to myself, much less anyone else.)  I was reviewing the aircraft forms (maintenance records) and I found an entry made by a very good friend of mine.  He was the Lead Electrical and Environmental Technician.  The problem was in the cooling system for the antenna, my antenna.  He explained that there were actually two problems in the system and to fly the mission he was going to configure the system in a way I had never seen before (and never saw again).  It contradicted my understanding of the system (again, his system) leading me to believe that if we tried to operate it would cause significant equipment damage, my equipment.  So I asked him if he was positive it was safe to fly and operate the aircraft configured the way he had it.  His confidence faltered a little at that point and I started pushing.  I asked him to show me the schematics and explain the configuration using his technical data.  When he could not find it right away, I got mad and made an entry in the forms not to turn on the Radar.  This effectively canceled the mission and infuriated the respondent.  

When I radioed maintenance control with the new aircraft status, my supervision heard and immediately came out to the aircraft find out was going on.  They found the two of us in the middle of a heated argument.  It was something so out of character for both of us they were speechless.  Then my immediate supervisor politely shut us up and ordered the two of us into his office.  My supervisor, an ill-tempered and mean spirited,  Senior Master Sergeant when he was not angry, was angry.  He made it clear he was in charge despite his boss, a not so scary Lieutenant, sitting at the desk right next to him.  He berated us badly for a minute or two.  He was upset that he came out to the flight line to find his two level-headed, example-setting Non-Commissioned Officers fighting like eight year old kids.  Once he had expressed his disappointment in us, he calmed down and asked us tell him what was going on.  He gave us both the opportunity to talk and we did.  My point was the aircraft was configured in a way not supported by technical data, equipment damage, mission abort, blah, blah, and blah.   The respondent believed he had found a way to make the evening mission, was sure his solution was not only safe but it was correct and would not cause equipment damage.  His only problem was that it was not in the technical data.  I could not prove my position with technical data either.  And there we were, at stalemate.  We were in an argument to which there was no correct answer.  My boss asked both of us if we felt that safety of flight is in question.  We both agreed that it was not.  And, then he dismissed us.  Total time in mediation, no more than five or six minutes and it was over.  A few minutes later he called us back in and told us what we needed to do, praised us both for our concerns and for standing our ground under pressure, and sent us back out to finish getting the aircraft ready for crew show.

We did fly the aircraft, they did complete the mission, and everything operated exactly as John (the respondent) said they would.  This should never have been a conflict.  I was the only reason that it did.  John and I worked together often.  He is, hands down, the best aircraft electrician I have ever known.  I had no reason to question him beyond what he was doing and when would he be done.  So why did I?  Today I know that I lacked confidence in my new job and I did not know how to handle this out of the ordinary situation, but did not want to admit it (Whetten & Cameron, 2016).  I lost focus and reverted back to what was comfortable, Radar.  Flustered, I got the Radar part wrong too.  Then I simply became defensive.  I lacked the courage and honesty to step back, admit that I was in over my head, and ask for help.  I vowed to myself that I would never let it happen again.

We were told we got it right; we made our mission and that no one was wrong.  I knew better.  Shortly after that, John and I talked about it and I tried to explain my behavior without it sounding like I was making excuses.  The respondent listened, understood, and accepted my apology.  That has been 24 years ago and I remember it like it happened yesterday, almost word for word. This is the first time since John accepted my apology that I have discussed the incident with anyone.  John and I are still good friends.

Looking back on it I believe the conflict was handled skillfully by my boss and the respondent never saw it coming; so, I do not believe they could have handled the situation any better than they did.  For me, I believe I should have done things differently, but at that time I was simply unable to do it any other way or to stop it once it started.  Hindsight, they say, is 20/20.

Reference:
Whetten, D. A., Cameron, K. S. (2016), Developing management skills (Ninth edition). Pearson Education, Inc. ISBN: 978-0-13-312747-8. (student edition)

No comments:

Post a Comment