The Dimensions of Emotional Intelligence
Emotional Intelligence (EI) got its name in 1990 when Salovey and
Mayer created the initial framework for EI in their article titled Emotional Intelligence: Imagination,
Cognition, and Personality. Daniel
Goleman took an interest and in 1995 published his book Emotional Intelligence. Not
long after this, Goleman made the connection between EI and leadership. But, EI is not new. Human beings have always had emotions and
therefore some level of emotional awareness, though it has most likely evolved a
little over the years.
Today Goleman (2012) refers to EI as how well we handle ourselves and
our relationships across the four domains or dimensions of self-awareness,
self-management, empathy, and skilled relationships (Goleman, 2012). These dimensions side by side can be seen as
the full spectrum of EI. No one masters
EI. Unlike cognitive intelligence and
personality that are set early in life and generally do not change, EI is
learned and it develops over one’s lifetime, increasing every decade or so (Goleman,
2013). I wonder, could this be the
reason behind the saying ‘with age comes wisdom’?
EI has recently gained the attention of employers. Research has started to produce results. The results support EI as a predictor of
performance. EI is “the single biggest
predictor of performance in the workplace and the strongest driver of
leadership and personal excellence” (Bradberry & Grieves’, 2009, p. 21) as cited
by (Colfax et al., 2010, p. 91).
Presumably, employers have seen this data and are experiencing employees
without EI. Many of the skills employers
value and seek are clearly EI factors.
With that said, let us take a closer look at the four dimensions of EI.
Before we can understand others, we must first
understand ourselves. Self-awareness is
really the primary dimension because without it, the others will be difficult to
develop. “Self-awareness is the ability
to know what we are doing as we do it and understand why we are doing it” (Jeffrey,
2017). I believe that I was self-aware
in my work center where I was comfortable and with my people, each of whom I
knew well and had well established relationships. I was comfortable in the environment
created by my team. Negativity was rare.
I intuitively knew who would want
specific job assignments. We were absolutely
connected and on the same frequency. If
a team member had a problem or just did not feel well. Not only did I pick up on it, so did the rest
of the team. Self-awareness is a
strength for me in the work setting, but it has to evolve which can take time for
everyone to get in tune. If a new person
was assigned to the team, it would disrupt the team dynamic. I attribute the disruption to myself. Establishing new relationships and meeting
new people is not a strong point of mine.
Establishing relationships and developing trust are the areas in self-awareness
I need to develop. As a side note:
outside of the work center I do not believe my self-awareness is at the same
level.
Self-management is one of my strong points. I do not lose my temper. I do not have impulse reactions. I can take criticism objectively. I can remain calm in the storm and be the
settling voice of reason. Switching to
plan B or C or starting over completely is not an issue as long as we execute
the best plan. I loved my job and I
shared that freely. My weak area is
handling conflict between team mates. I usually
feel as though I have to choose a side without all the pertinent information. I prefer to facilitate resolution and allow
the combatants to resolve their own issue.
I can get angry if I am forced to choose one over the other or resolve
the problem for them. Conflict is
normal, in fact it is usually productive.
If conflict goes past professional disagreement, I have to consciously,
manage my rising emotions and choose my words carefully and deliberately. Teams I have lead have complemented my
ability to keep my cool, remain calm, and operate under pressure.
Have empathy or compassion. I am extremely empathic…almost to a fault. I am basically a grumpy, cantankerous,
soft-hearted pushover. I can feel what
they are going through and I am compelled to do whatever I can to help resolve the
issue. I care deeply about my people…people
in general. Seeing someone in distress draws
me like a magnet. I said almost to a
fault because in some situations, I feel out of control or powerless to do
anything but respond to the situation. Then
I feel as though I wear their emotions on my sleeve. It may be possible that during these
situations which are thankfully the exception, I leave myself vulnerable to be taken advantage of. I do not become a ‘basket
case’ and I have never been taken advantage of, but I do feel sucked in to the
moment.
Putting everything together to establish and develop skilled
relationships is an area I need to develop.
I need to qualify this statement.
This problem exists within my team but only minimally so. When someone new is assigned to my team, I
feel a little awkward but it gets better very quickly often during a single
conversation. Outside of my immediate
group, I am uncomfortable and nervous enough meeting someone new, it gives my
new friends a bad impression. I do not
know why this happens but it does and I have not been able to change it. The next time I meet with the person, the
atmosphere seems different, my nerves are not on edge, and the impression changes.
I should rephrase…I actually make the
situation awkward but it is not intentional.
My problem with initial introductions effects my ability to create and
develop skilled relationships, but I do have to work harder and it takes more
time to build the connection.
Emotional intelligence is currently receiving much positive attention. It appears the continued testing will produce
similar results. Like many people,
common sense told me that organizations filled with EI people had to have a positive
effect. The connection to performance is very strong. The connection to leadership excellence is
also solid. Research still has work to
do, but I am happy that EI is being put to use in organizations. It is indeed a step forward in my humble
opinion.
~Pete
References:
Colfax, R. S., Rivera, J. J., & Perez, K. T. (2010). Applying
emotional intelligence (EQ-i) in the workplace: Vital to global business
success. Journal of International
Business Research, 9, 89-98. Retrieved from: http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/875107728?accountid=27203
Goleman , D. (2012 April 23). Daniel Goleman introduces
emotional intelligence [Video file}. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7m9eNoB3NU&t=34s
Goleman, D.,(2013 September 5). Daniel Goleman explains
emotional intelligence [Video file]. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsdqBC1tHTA
Jeffery, S. (2017). A
comprehensive guide to developing self-awareness. Retrieved from: http://scottjeffrey.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Self-Awareness-Guide-Scott-Jeffrey.pdf
Another amazing read! This one in particular will be helpful for me as I work in a very small business and seem to disagree a lot with my coworker. I am more than sure this will help me and possibly even help my coworker as well. Thanks for writing please keep it up.
ReplyDelete