Sunday, January 21, 2018

A641.2.3.RB_BorutyAlan_Am I a Resonant Leader

 Am I a Resonant Leader

Am I a resonant leader?  I suppose this is the kind of question I need to get used to answering in graduate school.  If I say yes I am a resonant leader, will the complex adaptive leader in me become jealous?  Will there be conflict with the storyteller in me?  I was a leader at some level and in some capacity in military and civilian organizations for nearly 35 years.  I have had the privilege of witnessing excellent leaders practice their craft and I have experienced bad leaders embarrass themselves publicly.  I have been both of those leaders at different points in my career.  My worst failures resulted in me not getting the job done and having to stand in front of the person that believed in me and tell them I failed.  Fortunately for me, that was the exception and not the rule.  I was allowed to reflect on how I had handled the situation, determine what I needed to change, and go over my discoveries with the boss who would send me back in expressing absolute confidence in me.  The process was much the same when I felt I did a great job.  The line of questioning was different.  How could I have done even better?  Who stood out as the best worker?  Should they be recognized over their peers?  After my first two years or so in the Air Force, I was blessed with good supervisors.
Today marks the end of the second week of this course called Resonant Leadership.  Two weeks and one day ago, I had never heard of resonant leadership before.  So if I have to answer the question, ‘Am I a resonant leader?’, right now my answer would be no, how could I be?  I have never practiced it nor have I knowingly seen it being practiced.  I have learned a little about it.  Much of it I like, however, there are a couple of things about it I do not like.
Resonant leadership and emotional and social intelligence are inseparable.  Without each of the tenants of emotional intelligence one cannot create resonance (Boyatzis & McKee, 2005).  Going through the workbook was stressful for me.  I have a difficult time evaluating myself for some reason, but I did it.  I have always thought that I am emotionally intelligent.  I am aware of my emotions, I manage my emotions, and I understand the people and the environment and interact well.  I am not prone to emotional outbursts or mood swings and I interact well with others on an emotional level.  I have doubts in the area of relationship management.  I do not establish relationships very easily.  I am shy and awkward when I first meet people.  The first impression I leave is I am better than them.  That was a hard piece of feedback to chew because I feel just the opposite.  I feel they are out of my league.  The second and third meeting is when I get comfortable.  I have been this way my entire life.  Finally, I am not a dynamic speaker and I generally fall short of inspirational leadership.  Once I know people, things resolve themselves quickly, everything except speaking publicly.
The final exercise for the reading is designed to help me determine if and answer the question, Am I a Resonant Leader?
Am I inspirational?  No, I can influence, motivate, and persuade.  I have never been comfortable with inspirational leadership style.  So, I really never used it. 
Do I create an overall positive emotional tone that is characterized by hope?  I do maintain a positive attitude.  I liked being at work, and I loved working on airplanes.  When people were struggling with a class or with their training, hope came in the form of encouragement and expressing confidence in their ability. 
Am I in touch with others? Do I really know what is in others hearts and on their minds?  I always made it a point to know the people that worked for me and with me.  I can say that I knew what was going on with each of my people.  I knew them and their families.  I spoke to everyone at least casually every day.  I would be able to detect something wrong in the way they said good morning.  But if something was happening, they almost always talked to me about it.
Do I regularly experience and demonstrate compassion?  I understood the wants and needs of my people well.  We talked about those kinds of things every time we did formal feedback.  I cared about each person and I wanted them to achieve their goals and get what they wanted while they served.  I would adjust schedules so someone could take a college class and be home with the kids until Mom or Dad got home from work.  The rest of the shop would do what they could to cover for their peer because they knew it was reciprocal.  They helped each other because they knew I would do everything I could if they needed help.  They gave compassion to me as well.  When the phone rang at the end of the day on Friday everyone knew we had waited just a little too long to leave.  Not one of them would leave until they made sure I was not going to need help.
Am I authentic and in tune with myself, others, and the environment?  I am me, nothing more and nothing less.  My people could tell by observation: what I say, the tone of my voice, and my gestures all match as usual.  If I had been anything other than authentic and in tune, they would immediately known something was wrong.  I quit trying to impress early in my career and decided to just be myself.  As a leader, being myself is the only leadership style that never failed me.
I believe I could get passed my concerns and create resonance.  But I am not sure that I want to at this point.  Resonance is fragile.  A bad day or two is all it takes to no longer be able to create resonance.  All of the components have to be perfectly in place or the magic simply does not happen.  Resonance promises impressive results that every leader would love to achieve.  But, establishing resonance is hard, sustaining it (if you can) takes so much out of the leader that it can be detrimental to their health, and it requires an antidote (renewal) to negate the effects of resonant leadership.
Not every leader can achieve resonance.  “Great leaders are resonant” (Boyatzis & McKee, 2005, p. 2).  Therefore, not all leaders can be great.  “Resonance or dissonance: the leader’s choice” (Boyatzis & McKee, 2005, p. 4).  No leader wants to be bad nor would they choose dissonance which is not referred to in a positive light in anything I have read to date.  This also implies that these are the only two choices for leadership at all: resonant (great, wonderful, and highly revered) and dissonant (bad, destructive, and damaging to self, followers, and organization). 
I have not closed my mind at all on Resonant Leadership.  It is only the second week in the class.  I am enjoying the subject and truly believe resonant leadership to be sound, thorough, and complete as a concept.  It is the strongest style I have studied in MSLD to date, but it is not perfect.
~Pete
References:
Boyatzis, R., & McKee, A. (2005). Resonant leadership: Renewing yourself and connecting with others through mindfulness, hope, and compassion. Boston, Massachusetts. Harvard Business School Publishing.

McKee, A., Boyatzis, R., & Johnston, F. (2008). Becoming a resonant leader. Boston, Massachusetts. Harvard Business School Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment