Leadership Gap
For what
it is worth, I agree with Obolensky.
Business leaders are under more scrutiny than ever. I believe there are a couple of reasons for
this phenomenon. I have always said that
leaders at every level operate in a fishbowl.
Within an organization, leaders are watched by their subordinates and
their leaders as well. Subordinates want
to know if you practice what you preach.
The leaders want to know if you are doing the right things for your
people and for your organization, how you interact with peers, and how you
react in pressure situations.
Subordinates want to know if you are the real deal or if you are all
talk. Leaders are sizing you up as
well. They want to know if you are
getting things done or spinning your wheels…they are looking for potential. This scrutiny is internal and has always been
present. The leader is earning respect
and credibility, or not. If the leader fails
the fishbowl test, it is extremely difficult to reverse the effects. This scrutiny comes from within the
organization by people that know you.
You may get a second chance to prove yourself and you may not. External scrutiny is more critical.
Now to
the questions Obolensky asked to begin chapter one.
Has my own attitude to leaders changed in my life, and if so how?
Has my own attitude to leaders changed in my life, and if so how?
Of course
it has. As a kid, I was told I was a natural leader. I did not
know what that meant and no one that ever said it took the time to elaborate. So I ignored it, but in the back of my mind I really wanted to understand it. I was just a kid that liked to play baseball, no different than any of my friends. In grade school I learned about
people that were referred to as leaders, most of them were past
presidents. Still no one explained what
a leader is. There were not any classes
that taught it and when I asked I got looks as if I should already know. Most of the time the response, if I got one
at all, was simply more names of people (most of them dead) that were
considered to be great leaders. Good to
know, but not what I was looking for. In
high school, I became aware that there were things other than baseball that
were worthy of my attention. I began to
formulate my own opinion. Leaders were
outgoing, opinionated, vocal, focused on an important cause, and
intelligent. I was none of those
things. The natural leader label made
less sense than ever. My opinion, right
or wrong, was that leader was a title that I could not achieve,
nor did I want to…I was not that kind of person. I joined the Air Force at age twenty and
immediately learned that leaders were not very nice and if one of them wanted
to talk to me, I had done something wrong.
I only started to acquire an understanding of leadership after I was
assigned my first trainee. It has been a
passion ever since.
If we take as a starting point the attitude to those in authority/leaders as held by your grandparents, and then look at those attitudes held by your parents, and then by you, and then by a younger generation, is there a changing trend? If so, what is it?
If we take as a starting point the attitude to those in authority/leaders as held by your grandparents, and then look at those attitudes held by your parents, and then by you, and then by a younger generation, is there a changing trend? If so, what is it?
My
grandparents lived through two world wars, the great depression, and Korea. Leaders brought them through those events and
leaders provided them with the vast majority of the information they got. The people of my grandparents’ generation
revered and trusted their leaders. They
had faith that leaders acted in the best interest of the people they
served. Information contrary to that was
simply not available to them. My parents
were, of course, raised by their parents and rarely questioned authority. They were young but they watched the country unite when we
entered World War II. Everyone that was
not fighting was supporting the effort in one way or another. They trusted that their leaders were
informed, capable, and making the right decisions for the right reasons. They also saw the rebuilding of our nation
after the war ended. Leaders had guided
them through hard times into relative prosperity. Information was more available but it was
generally inert. My generation got to
watch Vietnam on television. We saw
people protesting against the actions and decisions of our leaders. People were not lined up to join the effort;
they were condemning it. Information was available and much of it was opinionated. Our nation was dividing, the decisions of our
leaders were questioned and defiantly opposed.
Information was still slow and some of it censored, but footage from the
war fueled the opposition. Leadership
behavior was in the news and being questioned.
I believe my generation was the point where blind trust that leaders
were above reproach began to turn to questions of trustworthiness. All of this is my opinion based on my
observations and what little understanding I have on human behavior.
Since the days of my grandparents, leadership philosophy, structure, and style remained the same. The hierarchical, top-down organization still the norm. Nothing had challenged it enough to consider any other options. Advancements in technology began to accelerate in the 1970s and has not slowed since. These rapid advances in technology changed everything. The generation of my children have never known a day without rapidly changing technology. Information has always been at their fingertips. They are comfortable in this environment and know how to use it. My generation and certainly generations before mine still struggle to make sense of it. In the meantime change continues and the younger generations change right along with it. As a result, they are well informed, they have an opinion, and they expect their voice to be heard (Obolensky, 2014). CEOs in hierarchically structured organizations were left behind. Everything changed for them. Their business was now more complex, uncertain, and unpredictable (Obolensky, 2014). The context within which they lead changed into the complex and chaotic domains (Snowden & Boone, 2007). Today, employees are better informed and have high expectations from their leader.
Since the days of my grandparents, leadership philosophy, structure, and style remained the same. The hierarchical, top-down organization still the norm. Nothing had challenged it enough to consider any other options. Advancements in technology began to accelerate in the 1970s and has not slowed since. These rapid advances in technology changed everything. The generation of my children have never known a day without rapidly changing technology. Information has always been at their fingertips. They are comfortable in this environment and know how to use it. My generation and certainly generations before mine still struggle to make sense of it. In the meantime change continues and the younger generations change right along with it. As a result, they are well informed, they have an opinion, and they expect their voice to be heard (Obolensky, 2014). CEOs in hierarchically structured organizations were left behind. Everything changed for them. Their business was now more complex, uncertain, and unpredictable (Obolensky, 2014). The context within which they lead changed into the complex and chaotic domains (Snowden & Boone, 2007). Today, employees are better informed and have high expectations from their leader.
I
definitely see a trend. In the days of
my grandparents it was blind trust and absolute respect. The trend moves downward until it reaches the
younger generation where it becomes earn our trust and respect. An upward trend over the same time frame could also be observed if we looked at the availability, accessibility, and accuracy of information to the general public. Information is powerful. Obolensky calls this trend the death of deference. "We hold our leaders to account more now than we have done. In the past we assumed they were more capable than us and we were therefore happy to follow. However, with the fast pace of change..., the older generation has been left behind more than ever before" (Obolensky, 2014, p. 4).
Additionally, while we live in a world with more information about leadership and leadership practices why is it that we have an apparent gap in the quality of our leaders and how do you think we can close this gap?
Additionally, while we live in a world with more information about leadership and leadership practices why is it that we have an apparent gap in the quality of our leaders and how do you think we can close this gap?
It is
true that there is more information, courses, consultants, and executive
coaches available to the leader, but there are a few reasons that can account
for the gap. I am not sure the gap is in the quality of our leaders. Before the world changed they
were arguably some of the best. The gap, in my opinion, lies in the leader's ability or desire to completely change their views on leadership. For many leaders this is difficult, at best, regardless of the information available to support such a change. But the fact is what used to work no longer does. The environmental context for leadership has changed to the point that hierarchical leadership in some industries is ineffective if not obsolete. In those cases a dynamic and sustainable way to stay ahead must be developed. Those leaders will have to adapt or they will fail (Reeves & Deimler, 2011). Obolensky (2014) tells us that polyarchy and Complex Adaptive Leadership is the way forward. There is a large learning curve in the
transition to a polyarchic leadership philosophy. Given the pace and volume of change that has taken
place and the fact that there is no end in sight, it is not inconceivable that leaders simply cannot see a way forward and are stuck. Simply stated it is
more difficult to lead today than it ever has been (Obolensky, 2014). So in my mind the gap is a leader adaptability issue rather than a leader quality issue. How do we close the gap is not an easy
answer. While the environment seems to
call for a change to polyarchy, oligarchy is still common. If the leaders are to be retained, hands on,
face-to-face training is necessary and it should begin by getting an
understanding of: 1) the context both globally and locally driving leadership
2) the limitations of oligarchy as it applies currently and 3) the dynamics of
anarchy as it applies within chaos and complexity and how useful non-deterministic leadership can be in those contexts (Oboloensky, 2014).
~Pete
References
Obolenski,
N.,(2014). Complex adaptive leadership:
Embracing paradox and uncertainty, (2nd ed). Farnham Surrey, England. Gowan
PublishingLimited.
Reeves, M., & Deimler, M. (2011). Adaptability: The New Competitive Advantage. Harvard Business Review, 89(7/8), 134-141.
Snowden, D. J., & Boone, M. E. (2007). A Leader's Framework for Decision Making. (cover story). Harvard Business Review, 85(11), 68-76.
Snowden, D. J., & Boone, M. E. (2007). A Leader's Framework for Decision Making. (cover story). Harvard Business Review, 85(11), 68-76.
No comments:
Post a Comment