Wednesday, March 1, 2017

A632.5.4.RB_BorutyAlan - How Protected are Your Protected Values

How Protected are Your Protected Values
I literally spent hours thinking through the subject of protected values.  Then I spent a couple more hours trying to identify my protected values.  I was not able to identify any.  I do not know if not having them is good or not, but it puts me in a bit of a dilemma.  The prompt for this lesson clearly assumes that I have at least three of them.  I think I will research the subject further and discuss what I learn. 
People who have protected values consider them to be absolute and inviolable (Hoch, et al., 2001).  I believe that absolutes like always, never, or under any circumstances, etc. will make you a liar or hypocrite eventually.  Baron & Spranca, make the statement that protected values are typically impossible for individuals to satisfy (Baron & Spranca, 1997, p. 1).  I have values that are important to me.  I do not believe in the senseless loss of human life, yet I spent 24 years in the military prepared to cause such loss, if necessary.  I traded off to defend the freedoms and way of life we enjoy in our country.  I want my children and grandchildren to enjoy the beauty and grandeur of the world we live in, so I do not litter; however, I do not recycle.  I carefully consider the options before knowingly making a choice that contradicts those values.  Values are not traded off on a whim, but the possibility always exists that conflicting values will force a trade-off decision.  Human beings are all different in thought and action, but are all entitled to their opinion.  Controversial as it may seem, the minority should be heard but not allowed to negate the opinions of the majority.
Protected values create problems for policy makers in the government who try to identify at what point trade-offs occur.  People with protected values make that determination difficult, if not impossible.  People are emotionally tied to their protected values and when asked to place monetary values to those values, some will answer no amount of money can justify destroying forests.  This infinite value makes the resulting analysis infinite.  This renders all the data in the analysis useless.  Some of these same people will purchase wooden furniture, use paper, and other wood products to make their lives more comfortable.  I believe when the analysis is being done, extreme ratings should be noted but not calculated.  This way the large majority of the data are considered.  They understand that commitment to protected values could make overall consequences worse in some sense.  “Rather than simply rejecting their competing, utilitarian intuitions, they deny that this is needed.  Perhaps this is true more generally of commitment to deontological rules, absolute or not” (Baron & Spranca, 1997, p. 13).
The results of the 1997 Baron & Spranca study was protected values are insensitive to quantity.  Less clear was absoluteness.  “The strong relation between Absoluteness and Denial protected-value score was computed for each subject suggests that people want to have their non-utilitarian cake and eat it too” (Baron & Spranca, 1997, p. 13). 
Ilana Ritov & Jonathan Baron did a study called ‘Protected Values and Omission Bias’ in 1999 with the primary objective to test omission bias in protected values.  People that have protected values are concerned with actions but not omission.  Ritov & Baron define omission bias as “the tendency to be less concerned with harms caused by omission than with identical harms caused by action’ (Ritov & Baron, 1999, p. 80).  The results in three experiments supported their hypothesis, omission bias is stronger for protected values.
Carmen Tanner & Douglas, L. Medin conducted research on protected values in 2004.  Their experiments looked at three questions: (Tanner & Medin, 2004, p. 6)
 (1) How strongly are protected values related to acts versus omissions and moral prohibitions versus moral obligations?
 (2) Is the prevalence of sobligation versus prohibition and act versus omission bias sensitive to negative/positive framing?
(3) Do people holding PVs respond differently to framing manipulations?
The Tanner & Medin study produced significantly different results than was widely accepted.  Instead of replicating previous studies showing omission bias, research suggests that protected values are associated with commitment to action, not just prohibitions.  Additionally, studies have consistently found people will more likely express moral values through active behavior versus inaction (Tanner & Medin, 2004).
Judgement and decision-making research notes that protected values being linked to omission bias may have been overgeneralized which could have caused action effects to be ignored in decision-making (Tanner & Medin, 2004).  
In this study there were two differences in what has been the norm for the field.  In past studies choices were asymmetrical in design.  Tanner and Medin created their choices symmetrically.  Secondly, the participants were specifically asked to assume the role of a decision-maker. 
There were two significant findings in the Tanner & Medin study.  First, “people with protected values were more likely to prefer acts than omissions.  In addition, protected values were more closely associated with a sense of obligation to act rather than prohibitions against action (participant justifications also support this claim)” (Tanner & Medin, 2004, p. 13).  The second finding was “that participants with strong protected values did not show framing effects” (Tanner & Medin, 2004, p. 14).  
I believe that there is agreement in the scholarly community that protected values exist.  All the research has been accomplished by just a couple of researchers whose work is contradictory.  The library of work is minimal, dated, and conflicting.  Perhaps Tanner and Baron could have collaborated on a study instead of arguing conflicting points of view.  Such a collaboration may have produced the true nature of protected values.  As it is, Baron is retired and Tanner is working other research interests.  In my limited investigation, it does not look like other researchers have picked up the torch to continue the work.  If I have misspoken, I offer my apologies and express my excitement.  I think this is important research on a subject that we need to understand.  While it is true that I have not identified any ‘protected values’ myself, I would like to understand more about them.  If we understood what motivates each other, incidents like the North Dakota Access Pipeline may not have become the disaster it turned in to.  I am not picking sides but I must say there had to be a better way.  Understanding and relating to one another is a good start.
References:
Baron, J., & Spranca, M., (1997). Protected Values. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. 70(1), 1–16. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/obhd.1997.2690
Hoch, S. J., Kunreuther, H. C., &  Gunther, R. E. (2001). Wharton on making decisions. (1st edition.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
Ritov, I., & Baron, J., (1999).Protected values and omission bias. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 79(2), 79-94. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/obhd.1999.2839
Tanner, C., & Medin,D. L., (2004). Protected values: No omission bias and no framing effects. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review, 11(1), 185-191. doi:10.3758/BF03206481


No comments:

Post a Comment