Monday, March 6, 2017

A632.8.3.RB_BorityAlan_Reflections on the Cynefin Framework

Reflections on the Cynefin Framework

Studying the Cynefin framework has helped me to visualize and better understand processes I have been studying and practicing for over 30 years now.  Back then, the Air Force had embraced ‘Situational Leadership’ and pushed it at every opportunity.  It made sense at a conceptual level…people are different so a good leader should adjust his leadership style accordingly.  The concept if adjusted a little has a variety of applications.  Things are different so treat them differently.  Not all problems are equal nor is the process by which they are solved.  As a radar technician, I learned about simple, complicated, and complex systems and the different approaches to troubleshooting those systems.  I responded to changing contexts and I was able to make decisions in those contexts.  I suppose I was driven by intuition or necessity and I probably stumbled more often than I soared.  I did not think about it; I did what I thought was expected and it worked most of the time.  Now the Cynefin framework tells me that decision making is not a ‘one size fits all’ process (Snowden, 2010).  It follows.  It makes sense to me.  I believe it. 

These experiences are probably the reason I was immediately impressed by the Cynefin framework.  The Cynefin framework is a valuable and powerful tool that will improve the accuracy, timeliness, and breadth of my decisions.  The framework gives me the information I need to assess the context of the issue.  It contains specific characteristics to confirm the context assessment as well as further define the issue, and it provides a decision model for each context to apply to the issue to come to the right decision.  It is a sense-making model (Snowden, 2010).  It uses your ambiguous data and helps you determine the prevailing operative context so you can make context appropriate choices (Snowden & Boone, 2007).  This helps you avoid the mistake of applying the wrong action to the prevailing context which will fail, or worse (Vasilescu. 2011).  Getting it right the first time definitely benefits my decision-making.

“Effective leaders learn to shift their decision-making styles to match changing business environments….By correctly identifying the governing context, staying aware of danger signals, and avoiding inappropriate reactions, mangers can lead effectively in a variety of situations” (Snowden & Boone, 2007, p. 12).  I recall working a complex failure of the radar system.  I was the senior technician working with three other technicians.  The problem we were sent to work was causing the transmitter to shut down, but the fault code was generic and did not point to a cause.  I suspected we were troubleshooting a symptom and the actual fault was in a different system which caused the transmitter to shut down.  I believed there was only one failure, but it could be caused by any number of systems tied to the transmitter.  I had just explained my theory to the other technicians and we decided to change course and look at a group of circuits that provided input to the transmitter when a different fault occurred.  I immediately knew what the problem was.  Two of the other technicians recognized the failure as well but the third was a relatively new trainee.  It was a simple problem.  The fault produced an accurate fault message that identified the problem and explained exactly what to do.  The dielectric gas for the transmitter was low.  I asked one of the technicians to walk through the process with the trainee and correct the problem.  While he was training, I went back to prioritizing the circuits we would look at from most likely to least likely.  When the trainer and trainee returned and verified the repair, I asked both of them a few questions to make sure they covered everything and the trainee was comfortable with the training.  The context of the gas problem was simple and, once trained, the trainee could follow the procedure on his own and achieve the same result.  The other problem was complex.  We got lucky and found the fault in the second circuit we checked.  After repairing the system we were able to trace the signal and see how the fault was occurring, however, we were not able to determine why it generated the erroneous fault code.  The ability to shift contexts is important.  If I had not been able to shift contexts I would have missed a training opportunity.  Snowden states that, “Good leadership requires openness to change on an individual level.  Truly adept leaders will know not only how to identify the context they’re working in at any given time but also how to change their behavior and their decisions to match that context” (Snowden & Boone, 2007, p. 11).  For example, shifting from a complicated context to a chaotic context or vice versa is a dramatic change.  Directive versus collaborative leadership styles are almost polar opposites.  One would also have to change their vocal tone, posture, and sense of urgency.  This is a drastic change at best, but imagine how effective a leader would be in either context without making the complete transformation.

Being able to make decisions in multiple contexts is sometimes necessary at home too.  Last summer I was making arrangements to rent a facility for my family to have Thanksgiving dinner together.  The context is simple: call, verify availability, and pay the deposit.  The lady had me on hold while she went to find her calendar.  I noticed my brother outside and went out to meet him.  He pointed to a large pine tree that had broken at the trunk in a storm the night before.  It was partially down and hung up in a tree branch.  It had taken the path directly over my storage building and stopped just a few feet before taking out the main power lines to the property.  I was still on hold so I asked my brother to call the power company.  They dispatched a truck immediately.  This issue was complicated.  I could clearly see the problem and knew there were several options to resolve the problem, but I did not know how to fix it without causing further damage (French, 2013).  The lady was back on the line again and telling me she finally found the calendar in the back seat of her truck but she did not know how it got there.  I live in a very small town.  She and I were still talking when a tree removal truck stopped in front of the house.  I was trying to talk to both at the same time, but I was not doing it very well.  The tree removal crew agreed to wait.  She and I finished our business with a date booked.  I could bring the deposit anytime and just drop it off at the cafĂ©.  Again, I live in a small town.  The crew had already determined that the tree was threatening lines that are my responsibility, therefore they would not remove it.  However they would send a crew out to drop the lines so I could remove it.  They would also reinstall the lines after the tree was clear.  Nothing I said or offered changed their mind.  They would not be responsible for destroying my storage building.  And they left.  My brother and I spent an hour or so looking it over and agreed on a plan that could work.  So we decided to do it.  Booking the banquet room was a simple context.  It was straightforward and understood even if it did take a long time to get it done.  The tree was a complicated context even though bringing in the experts did not work out.  There were several options to solve the problem.  Collaborative thinking brought out the option we chose.  The plan was successful; we removed it without damaging my building or the power lines.

I have taken a critical look at the Cynefin framework.  I think I understand it.  I do not understand what is meant by how can the Cynefin framework provide an improved context for decision making.  The contexts are set in the framework, constants if you will.  They are what they are.  Contexts cannot be improved without changing them; therefor, they would not be improved they would be different.  If the contexts are different the framework would also be different.  I do not intend to be difficult or dodge the question.  The contexts are the Cynefin Framework: Simple (now called Obvious), Complicated, Complex, Chaotic, and Disorder.  The name of the context can be changed, and they have been over the years, but the contexts have always been the same.

~Pete


References:

French, S. (2013). Cynefin, statistics and decision analysis. The Journal of the Operational Research Society, 64(4), 547-561. doi: http://dx.doi.org.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/10.1057/jors.2012.23

Snowden, D. J., (2010). The Cynefin Framework. YouTube. Accessed 2017 February 28. Retrieved from:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7oz366X0-8 (Links to an external site.)
Snowden, D. J., & Boone, M. E. (2007). A Leader's Framework for Decision Making. (cover story). Harvard Business Review85(11), 68-76.

Vasilescu, C, (2011, December). Strategic decision making using sense making models: The Cynefin Framework. Paper presented at the Sixth International Scientific Conference on Defense Resorces Management in the 21st Century, Brasov, Romania. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/1127283106?accountid=27203

No comments:

Post a Comment