Wednesday, November 14, 2018

A640.4.2.RB_BorutyAlan_Developing a Case (Post event analysis)


Developing a Case (Post event analysis)
Every now and then, I get a mental block of sorts over an assignment.  This was one of those assignments.  And the block lingered.  I finally did figure out what I was supposed to do and I got I done, albeit a bit late.
I tried to understand the reasoning behind the assignment and how it tied in to the weekly lesson, but could not.  In fact, I wrote the entire module off as a mistake.  Some understanding came after more information was added to the module.  In the end, I learned about the contingency and path-goal theories of leadership.  And, I wrote a case study.
I felt like I was good at analyzing case studies before I wrote one.  I do not believe writing one made me better at analyzing them, but it did help me to see the mechanics involved and some of the traps that are easy to fall in to.  Writing my own case study probably made me a little more critical when reading other case studies.  However, I did learn some things pertinent to case studies.
My tendency was to lead the reader where I wanted them to be.  This defeats the purpose.  I have to remain objective and present facts.  The reader will take them where they will.  It is all part of the learning.
I believed when I enrolled in this course that case studies would be an effective and interesting way to learn about leadership.  Nothing can compete with studying the actual cases and analyzing what could have been done better, differently, or not at all in order to get a better understanding of leadership in action.  This module did nothing to change my beliefs on this matter.  If anything, it confirmed that analyzing case studies is important to understanding leadership.  I am happy to be moving on to another module.
~Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment