Saturday, July 28, 2018

A634.9.4.RB_BorutyAlan_A Reflection of My Learning


A Reflection of My Learning

I learned a lot during this course.  I learned about ethical arguments on several topics. I learned about other people and how they may or may not behave in a given situation.  I also learned how the different theorists argue a case.  But I primarily learned about myself.  How I treat people , how I come to decisions and conclusions,  how bias affects me daily, and what I need to do to think ethically and behave morally. 

These were not easy lessons for me to accept, much less think them through.  I had to admit to my limitations.  I had to look myself in the eye and tell me the truth.
 
I now understand some of the more polarized topics in ethics.  I have an opinion on them, and I know why.  The course was very demanding on me in terms of time and emotion and I am better for it.

I will take away many lessons from this course.  The three that I want to discuss  are not necessarily the most important, but lessons that had an immediate impact on me.  One where I thought I knew the answer and learned I was at least partially wrong.  One where I had to accept that I had been lying to myself about since I was a child.  And one where I disagreed with the majority, and successfully argued my position.  My takeaway lessons are the golden rule, religion and racism, and the ethics of eating animals.

The Golden Rule

I have been practicing the golden rule in my life since I was a young man.  Over the years, I came to see it as the best way to interact with people and the morally correct way to treat people.  What I learned is that even if the Golden Rule is the best tool to use when interacting with other people, it simply is not enough.  LaFollette (2007) taught us that morality concerns the interests of others” (p. 15).  We should not act or behave in ways that will hurt or harm other people.  This fits well with the Golden Rule.  But if my behavior indirectly harms, creates the risk of harm, or fails to prevent harm, it becomes less certain whether I acted morally or not. 

When things are not clear we compare them to an accepted standard for determination.  That standard is ethics.  Ethics goes well beyond personal interactions and allows us to consider activities beyond relationships e.g., lying, punishment, and animal rights.

I continue to use the Golden Rule because I am convinced it is the best way to establish relationships between people.  But when I am not sure or want to evaluate both sides of an argument, indeed, there is ethics.  The Golden Rule combines true empathy and compassion with the human spirit and it is powerful.  Johnathan Huie (2011) argues that if the Golden Rule is taken and applied literally, it can cause more harm than it does good.  The lesson becomes be like me. To this, Huie (2011) provided compassion as the solution. “The humanitarian view is that compassion is the bedrock of morality” (para. 11). I argue that without empathy, compassion can be insincere. 
My takeaway…  The Golden Rule is timeless, powerful, and profound (Putnam, 2006), but it is incomplete without ethical standards and norms.  I immediately changed how I think about the Golden Rule and ethics.  They are an inseparable part of the journey to living morally. 
Racism
This was by far the hardest lesson for me.  Simply reading the material made me defensive as it seemed to insinuate that I was someone or something I am not.  I read the material defending against or objecting to or rationalizing my behavior to nearly every remark the author made.  When I was finished reading, I could not discern the real purpose of the chapter nor any of the points the author made.  I had to calm down, open my mind, and re-read the entire chapter to understand what Lafollette (2007) was trying to say.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s in Georgia, times that marked the birth and early growth of the Civil Rights movement in the United States.  I was young and did not understand what the movement was all about, but it was violent, explosive, and in your face and quite honestly, it scared the hell out of me.  

I emerged from that period and joined the Air Force proudly proclaiming my status as a non-racist.  I served an entire career without incident and raised two children to respect human life regardless of color.  I raised them to understand that no matter the differences we had on the outside we are all the same inside.

Then over thirty-five years later I am reading a book that tells me that the blatant, outward forms of racism are gone, only to have been replaced by a new form of racism, formed by habits and the role of social institutions (Lafollette, 2007).  Racism is alive and well, but today it hides in employment applications, policies, and processes (social institutions).  It also hides in the thoughts of individuals.  Thoughts that are automatic responses to situations and unfavorable to different racial groups, especially African Americans (habits).  LaFollette (2007) provided example after example to which I had to plead guilty on a personal level.  I had lied to myself for decades. According to LaFollette’s (2007) description of the new racism, I am racist through habits I picked up as far back as my childhood.  I fully understand the social institution contribution to racism as well.  In both cases, we are completely unaware until it is pointed out and explained.  Then it is obvious and it demands action.

Slavery occurred and ended long before my existence.  None of my ancestors owned slaves.  However, the effects of slavery still linger. I am as guilty as the next person and unless I and those like me can change those habits and the way we think, racism cannot be eliminated. 

Habits that are as deeply ingrained as these are resistant to change.  Change is slow, intentional, and beyond our willpower.  “Habits are changed not by private willing, but (a) identifying and (b) then altering the conditions that make and sustain our habits, and finally, (c) by substituting and sustaining a more productive habit for the old detrimental one” (LaFollette, 2007, p. 80).

My takeaway… we are all responsible for our behavior and correcting it when it goes astray.  I immediately began identifying the issues I must change and have embraced the change process.  I am ashamed and embarrassed to say that I still have some work to do.  I will, however see it through to the end. 

The Ethics of Eating

This course was not easy for me. I seriously struggled early on and considered dropping the course, but I received encouragement to work through it. I am glad that I did.  The ethics of eating does not have a profound take away like those previously discussed.  It does, however, have one that is important to me.

The ethics of eating asked the question: is it ethical to eat animals?  My answer to the surface question was of course it is, that is why they are here.  The end.  Underneath the surface, it seemed like the entire world was saying just the opposite.  I panicked at first wondering whether I had missed something in the reading.  Then I began to doubt and second guess my convictions.  Finally, it occurred to me that if eating animals was unethical, that would make me immoral.  I am certain that I am neither unethical nor immoral. 

I am not much for arguing, in fact, I truly dislike it.  But, I found their argument inconsistent and dependent on stirring the emotions of the opposition.  It was then that I realized what I needed to do, which is what I should have been doing throughout the course: understand and believe in my position and defend it. 

I did an adequate job countering the argument presented to me and I provided additional information supporting my position.  I did not end the debate or convince anyone to change their position and move to my side.  I satisfactorily made my point.

What I did do is remind myself that there are some subjects that I understand and enjoy more than others.  That does not mean that the subjects I understand less are unimportant or that I should not fully participate in an attempt to learn more.  In fact, these courses are the ones I should put the most effort into.  Everyone has something to contribute. Contributing to the course results in feedback.  Feedback promotes learning.  There is nothing earth-shattering or new in my discovery.  I have known it for a long time, yet I still nearly allowed frustration to rob me of an opportunity to learn something new or enhance what I had previously learned.  This is an elementary-level take away.  I hope I do not forget it again anytime soon.

~Pete

References

Huie, J. l. (2011, August 13). The Golden Rule is not always golden. Retrieved from http://www.mind4joy.com/2011/08/golden-rule-is-not-always-golden.html

LaFollette, H. (2007). The practice of ethics. Malden, Massachusetts: Blackwell Publishing.

Putnam, M. S. (2006). Reflections on the golden rule. Global Ethics University. Retrieved from http://www.globalethicsuniversity.com/articles/thegoldenrule.htm


1 comment: