The Innovation Experience
Looking back over the last nine weeks and how this course
unfolded, there were many important elements discussed that created the
innovation experience for me. They are all
interconnected making it difficult to tell where one element stops and the next
begins. For this reason, I found it
difficult to isolate three as more important than the others. My perspective since the first lesson has
been, what do I have to do or change for my people to see how important
innovation is and want to participate in the innovative process. I have always believed that the leader cannot
expect anything more from the followers than what they see in their leader. Therefore, for my people to become innovative,
they must first see that behavior in me.
Fortunately, this made selecting three elements much easier. Unfortunately, it means I have some changes
to make.
Identify
the three elements that had the largest influence on your perspective on innovation
Nurture Your
Creative Genius
Innovation depends on creative thinking to generate good ideas
(Mckeown, 2014). I have never considered
myself to be creative and I still would not label myself as such. However, I am getting better. Mckeown (2014) explained it this way. “If
there are no new ideas, there is no innovation.
And if there is no creativity, there are no new ideas” (p. 3).
Building
a Better, Bigger Brain
Regardless of how creative or smart you are, you cannot know
or think it all. To be most effective, not
only do you need to realize what you can contribute but also what others bring
to the table. Everyone has something to
offer to the process. Know who they are and
what they can contribute, then use them as necessary to grow your brain.
Giving Up
Old Ideas (to make room) for Better Ideas
Sometimes what you already know can get in the way of learning
what you really need to know. Old ideas
define where you are currently. To get
to where you want to be, you have to replace old ideas with better ideas. A closed mind never innovated anything.
Define the elements and why
they are important.
Nurturing your creative genius means that creativity is an
intentional thinking process that can be learned or improved by employing a few
techniques and practice. As a self-identified
non-creative person, it means that I can learn to be more creative. This is critically important to innovation
because creativity or creative thinking is the foundation for innovation. Without creative thinking, innovation cannot
exist (Mckeown, 2014).
I define building a better, bigger brain to mean two heads are
better than one and, within limits, the more heads the better. Building a better, bigger brain is about deliberate
collaboration. There are multiple ways
to build a bigger brain depending on the situation. Building a better, bigger brain is important because
there are many different roles to fill for any one person to handle. A better, bigger brain “connects the
creativity and passion of many different kinds of people” (Mckeown, 2014, p.
34). Additionally, a bigger brain
improves your ability to “deliberately generate additional useful insights and ideas”
(Canfield & Smith, 2011, p. 117).
Giving up old ideas for better ideas reminds me to keep an
open mind and accept that the way we have always done it is not always the best
way to do it. Sometimes getting rid of
the old idea is the only way to accept and follow the better idea. Giving up old ideas takes intentional mental
preparation. This is important because
old ideas, even after they are outdated, still support our traditions, habits,
and biases. If we do not make room for
new ideas, the new ideas cannot be tested.
If they cannot be tested they may be rejected even if there is clear
evidence supporting them. If we do not
make room for new ideas, we cannot move forward and take advantage of better
ideas.
Discuss how you will use them
in the future.
I will continue to nurture my creative genius daily. Cognitively I allow myself to think freely on
random topics, try to come up with at least ten different answers to the same
question, and think of as many alternative ways to accomplish a job as I can. My answers can be completely off the
wall. As long as I am not producing the
obvious, usual or status quo response to an input, Mckeown (2014) considers my
thinking to be creative. By trying to
solve problems other people think are unimportant or impossible, I can come to
understand how creativity feels. Thinking
and feeling creative will begin to generate creative focus. At
work I would introduce and explain creative thinking to the employees. I would encourage each to find something
within their area of expertise that could be better and to come up with as many
ideas as possible to make it better. From
there I would let it grow.
Building a better, bigger brain should always be better first,
then bigger. The other way around will
only serve to create chaos. Whether
building from the top down or the bottom up, putting the right person on the
team is more important than putting more people on the team. Evaluate the requirements first, then build (Mckeown,
2014). My organization is very well
networked. Everyone is connected to everyone all the time. So, building a better, bigger brain is done
by creating a collaborative group based on the innovation topic, innovation
source, and skillsets needed. I
encourage collaboration on day-to-day work to improve the quality and
completeness of work and reduce the amount of rework caused by interoffice
conflict.
I use ‘give up old ideas for better ideas’ as a reminder to
keep an open mind and to actively listen for ideas with potential. I do not vocalize it, but I sometimes find myself
thinking in ‘it has always been done this way’ terms. The next thought is a rationalization, how
bad can it be if it has always been done this way. Which is completely irrational. Most times the thought has come and gone before
I realize. Then I allow it to pass. I am not proud of it but, I am guilty. If I am thinking like that, then I must be
overloaded with old ideas. I need to
make room and find a better idea for the one that has always been this way. This element in a way holds me accountable or
reminds me to be accountable for my thinking.
If I no longer have room to consider a different, new, better, or
otherwise idea. I either need to get rid
of old ideas or I need to step aside.
Each of these elements in innovation are for one reason, new
ideas. They make sure the ideas are
generated, the right people are in place with open minds to make them useful and
better. Putting the elements to work even
when not innovating means that the organization is comfortable with the elements
when the time comes to innovate.
~Pete
References:
Canfield, J., & Smith, G. (2011). Imagine: Ideation skills for improvement and innovation today.
Holland, Michigan: Black Lake Press.
Mckeown, M. (2014). The
innovation book: How to manage ideas and execution for outstanding results.
Edinburgh Gate, Harlow, United Kingdom. Pearson Education Limited.
Hi Pete I enjoyed reading this also.
ReplyDelete