Sunday, May 6, 2018

A642.7.3.RB_BorutyAlan_Leading through Disruptive Times


Leading through Disruptive Times


I must admit. I did not really understand disruption until tonight.  I thought I did, but trying to reason through the concepts, the fundamental truth escaped me.  I was panicked and completely unsure of how I would complete this assignment.  I found the missing pieces watching a video where Clayton Christensen (2013) explained disruption at Said Business School, University of Oxford.  In this video, Christensen labeled innovation into three types with three different purposes.  He tied the types of innovation into the economy which, indeed, was fascinating. But that can wait for another blog entry.  I now have the information I need to answer the questions posed by this assignment.  Better late than never I suppose.

There are three types of innovation and they serve three distinct purposes.  Sustaining innovation is used to make existing products better.  Efficiency innovation makes the same product cheaper.  Disruptive innovation transforms complicated and expensive products currently in the market simpler and more affordable to a much larger population.  When the disrupter has successfully taken that product and the incumbent no longer competes for that product the disruption is completed. But the price drops drastically when the incumbent withdraws. Now the disrupter seeks the smallest margin product the incumbent offers and begins to disrupt it.  It makes sense to everyone.  The incumbent can realize greater profit if they focus their effort on higher margin products, so they gladly get out of the lower margin business.  The disrupter gladly takes on the business because it generates sound profit.  This can continue unnoticed for years for a few reasons.  The incumbent’s quest for greater profit is successful.  Every time the incumbent got out they made more money.  The disrupter is seeking the low margin products that cost them to keep anyway.  The disruption takes years to complete and the incumbent simply does not see what is really happening.  In this manner the disrupter can take over an entire market as long as, at each level, they can deliver the product and meet the standards the incumbent used to provide (Christensen, 2013). 

Leading an organization that is focused on disruption would be different than leading one focused on sustaining, but perhaps less than one might think.  In the sustaining organization, the people are very familiar with the products and if the innovation is incremental. most likely the innovation as well. The sustaining organization would be back to business as usual almost immediately. 

The disruptive organization routinely deals with uncertainty and high-risk activities sustaining organizations may not have to endure.  If the disrupting organization has always focused on disruption they too would be back to business as usual.  On the one hand, the leader guides people through what the next increment will look like for the product and prepares the organization for upcoming innovations.  On the other hand, the leader must guide people through the process of finding future disruption and the work to get the project started.

Since innovation of any kind takes so long and the business is back to normal the leader is responsible for remaining alert to changing conditions that could affect or upset existing plans, being consistent, being committed to the plan, and being patient while innovation slowly generates its results. 
Now, consider the likelihood of both occurring at the same time; would this change the way you navigated or lead the organization through these scenarios? 
I think it would be highly unlikely that both would occur simultaneously.  But if it did, I would take on an even more active role because it could cause manning and expertise shortages.  After, getting the dust settled and confidence returned that things are under control I would withdraw and allow the organization to run, but I would show up more often than normal to show support and offer help. 

~Pete

Reference:

Christensen, C. (2013). Disruptive innovation [Video file]. Said Business School, University of Oxford, 2013 June 19. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpkoCZ4vBSI

Mckeown, M. (2014). The innovation book: How to manage ideas and execution for outstanding results. Edinburgh Gate, Harlow, United Kingdom. Pearson Education Limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment