Lessons Learned
As I read the assigned reading
this week, I was looking closely for the hidden lessons I am supposed to be learning
and ultimately writing about in this blog.
I was on the third or fourth page of Safian’s Find Your Mission article written
for Fast Company when it hit me. The entire
world has changed in a significant and fundamental way and I somehow missed it
completely. How can that happen? Do not answer that.
Detail
three lessons learned and how they impact your view of innovation and
leadership.
1.
Individuals today value meaning and purpose in
their work, more so than money. They
want to be a part of something inherently good.
Job security for commitment to the company contracts no longer have
value. They want to be passionate about
their work.
a.
This changes my view on leadership, but only
slightly. These workers are not
motivated by the same things as older generations are. They are motivated by their work. They tend to need less direct leadership involvement
but require frequent feedback. Eventually,
this generation will flatten out organizations.
Get these individuals engaged in their work and performance will soar. My view on leadership is not really impacted
but it is affected. I may not be able use
even similar styles of leadership in the organization. But, that would be an issue I would have to
resolve. I think the transformation to a
workforce that thrives on meaningful work and purpose is a good shift. Perhaps backstabbing over promotions and
other attention will cease to exist.
b.
The impact to my view on innovation is minimal. An organization that has established a
culture of innovation and considers innovation as a strategic strength will be
able to bring these individuals into the innovative process. As long as the company purpose is not
conflicted or damaged.
2.
For the companies, purpose and mission are more
than just statements. When a company’s purpose is focused on something beyond
money, the more money the company makes.
Examples in the article were advancing humankind and integrity in
selecting ingredients for food. If a
company finds their mission and they operate according to it the mission often becomes
their greatest competitive advantage.
a.
This would tend to impact my view on leadership
positively. I tend to associate leaders
with the company and if the company lives by their mission, I associate the
leaders to that mission as well. I
realize it is an assumption. But I
prefer to give the benefit of the doubt up front. If proven wrong I can easily adjust
appropriately.
b.
My view on innovation would also be swayed
positively. If the purpose and mission
are inherently good the company’s behavior should follow in all endeavors
3.
Leaders will have to adjust to the differences in today’s
workers versus yesterdays. This
adjustment could be a difficult one. One
would not think so because companies are operating with greater meaning and
purpose along with the younger generation.
It is not always that simple.
a.
My view on leadership would remain unchanged until
I witnessed interactions to verify they are communicating effectively would be
important to me. Sometimes people with
similar ideas have slightly differing opinions on the details. Although unlikely, this can lead conflict and
resentment.
b.
The impact to my view of innovation would be
minimal but I would watch closely until things were running smoothly. Helping the company to achieve its goals falls
into both party’s strength. A cooperative
relationship is still a necessity.
Discuss your innovative
skills and detail three ways you can make a "useful" contribution to
your organization
I honestly like the transformation
occurring within the workforce today.
This shift is more give than take.
If everyone shared these same beliefs.
The climate in the work center would improve drastically overnight. Meaning and purpose is available to everyone. I may be reading into it but I believe
someone with that set of core beliefs would be more respectful, tolerant and
participative.
My innovative skills include
leading innovation, establishing and maintaining a culture of innovation and idea
screening. I am not necessarily the most
creative person, but I can help with generating ideas. However, I would probably be better suited to
screen and analyze ideas. When the time
came, I would be able to help with making ideas useful. Introducing a group of people who think and
behave differently adds diversity into the organization. That is almost always a good thing.
~Pete
References:
Safian, R. (2014). Find your
mission (cover story). Fast Company, (190), 66-110. Retrieved from http://web.b.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/ehost/detail/detail?vid=2&sid=753597de-0e90-47ee-a1de-c19336933805%40sessionmgr101&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#AN=98741012&db=bth
*This entire post is based on
Safian’s article, Find your mission as
referenced above
I still say you could write a book and help alot of people just with you thoughts alone. Not to mention all of your experience. Carol..... weavercarol0865@gmail.com!....??
ReplyDelete