Sunday, December 10, 2017

A633.8.3.RB_BorutyAlan_How to Better Enable Leadership

How to Better Enable Leadership
I have often said leadership is a 24/7 job because I believe that leaders live in a fishbowl on-duty especially, but off-duty as well.  It is not a paranoia issue.  It is that people want to know if their leader is all talk or if they actually walk the walk.  The majority of the time I walked the walk.  For the same reason, I expected my people to follow my lead.  I always heard leadership by example was the best way to quickly earn my subordinates respect.  I had to ask myself if these to activities were enough for me to say I had enabled leadership.  The answer came without hesitation.  They gave me partial credit but they were not enough to claim victory on their own merit.
I was unable to interview superiors and subordinates from my organization as I have been retired for over three years now.  However, I understood the intent of the prompt instructions.  I reviewed the reading material for the week and called it a pseudo-interview with Obolensky (2014) and ran an internet search for ‘enable leadership’ - the search produced 34,400,000 results.  I did not look at every result, but all of the ones that I did review supported what Obolensky (2014) implied…for me to better enable leadership today I needed to have better developed my subordinates starting from my first days as a leader and continuing through to my last.  The realization that it is too late for me to better enable leaders did not sit well with me.  It also caused me to second guess my performance over the years.  I learned a long time ago that if I am digging into the past, I need to be looking for something I can put to good use, either in the present or the future. 
I came across a web page that says it clearly, if not bluntly.  “A true leader enables others to lead….You must understand that the overarching goal of leadership is to develop leaders to their fullest potential.  This allows you to enable leaders knowing that the immediate goals might be deferred” (Canterucci, 2017).  Enabling leaders may be the leader’s hardest, yet, most important task. 
Canterucci (2017) concluded by making sure the message was clear.  “In other words you have to have done your leadership job.  You have to have prepared to enable others whether they are labeled a leader or not.  Therefore, your ability to enable others successfully is a great measure of your effectiveness”(p. 1). 
My previous organization is United States Air Force.  “The Air Force operates in a dynamic global context across multiple domains requiring leadership skills at a variety of levels..  The Air Force categorizes these leadership levels as the tactical expertise, operational competence, and strategic vision levels.  The leadership level at which an Airman operates determines the institutional competencies required to lead Airmen in mission accomplishment” (U.S.Air Force Doctrine,2015).  I have thought through this many times.  I have never been shown this document.  It is very specific about what the Airman is exposed to, who provides each piece of the training puzzle, and what the minimum requirements are to move to the next level.  The document would have made working with each Airman much easier.  However, I looked at each training task that the leader is charged with support and I went through each task with each Airman I trained.  One of the areas I feel like I did not give the full attention it deserved.  I was required to expose the Airman to diversity of perspective and background.  Back in the mid1980s, I was not aware of the value of diversity in the work center, on teams, or groups.  I completed the task, but I did not discuss it like I did the others or repeat it as often as the other tasks.  Today, I know how significant diversity of perspective and background is to group dynamics and so would the Airman.
At the Operational Competence Leadership Level, I covered every task thoroughly.  My trainees were all motivated, knew what I was supposed to help them with, and they hounded me until I took care of them.  I was far from unmotivated, they were just on fire.

I did not go through any of the Strategic Vision Leadership Level tasks with a trainee.  I did complete them myself…a few years ago now.
The entire training lifecycle is detailed in the reference document.  The tasks are separated into three categories: personal, people/team, and organizational.  The first level is primarily focused on personal and people/team.  A breakdown here would set the Airman back a bit, but most of the tasks address adjusting to the Air Force, so, missing one would not cause readiness issues.  It is still not something one would want to see happen.
Operational Competence is where wars are fought.  Skills across the spectrum are taught to and possessed by Airmen in this category.  A breakdown in this area would have a significant effect on operations.  If the problem was local, it could be isolated and corrected.  However, if a mistake was made in the core document, that would be an Air Force level issue. If it went undetected, Airmen throughout the Air Force could be deficient and no one know until it was too late.  This could cause an Air Force-wide readiness issue.  This is the worst possible scenario.  From an organizational perspective it would likely drive a doctrine review that could take months at best.  If the Air Force lost confidence in the integrity of the document then from my perspective, as painful as it sounds, it would be the right call.  But, we are talking about a ‘what if’ scenario.  My review found records and files that are being impeccably maintained, knowledgeable personnel assigned, and ease of access.  What frustrated me was me.  I had no idea the document existed, I recommend that the information be part of the review or sign out process.  Then I would be able to verify the checklist matches the current document minimally.
An organization where everyone knows and understands their training program based on the doctrine, is a better organization.  Before I retired, the training program was the most neglected and out of date program in the entire group.  People honestly could not see how important it is to keep records in accordance with policy.  I am guessing it has to be fixed by now.  If not, they will figure it out when the deployment orders start flowing.

~Pete

References:
Canterucci, J., (2017),  Enable leadership [Web page article]. Retrieved from: http://jimcanterucci.com/enable-leadership/
Obolensky, N. (2014). Complex adaptive leadership. (2nd edition.). London, UK: Gower/Ashgate 

U.S. Air Force Doctrine (2015). Air Force Core Doctrine, Vol 2, Leadership, Chp2, Levels of Air Force Leadership. Accessed: 2017 December 9. Retrieved from: http://www.doctrine.af.mil/Portals/61/documents/Volume_2/V2-D10-Levels-Leadership.pdf?ver=2017-09-17-123835-833

No comments:

Post a Comment