Sunday, December 3, 2017

A633.7.3.RB_BorutyAlan_Leader Follower Relationship

The Leader Follower Relationship
I completed the Complex Adaptive Leadership (CAL) in Action self-assessment before reading the material in the chapter.  When I plotted my answers on the scoring sheet, I ended up with four answers in the Strategy 1 column, four answers in the Strategy 2 column, five answers in the Strategy 3 column, and 3 answers in the Strategy 4 column.  I was happy with the result because it means that I assessed the situation presented and chose the correct approach fifteen out of sixteen times.  Further, on the one I missed, instead of delegating the task I chose the participative leadership style and  involved myself in the situation. 

This course has been informative and so far I have enjoyed it, I have learned from it, and I have re-thought how I would work with a follower today.  I suppose the course has changed the way I think about leadership and the leader’s role in the organization.  I worked my entire career within the strict hierarchical structure of the military organization.  I understood the structure, I was comfortable in that environment, and I thrived in it.  This course exposed me to polyarchy.  It took me five weeks to reach the point that I was willing to admit the possibility that polyarchy could work.  I did not have any problem understanding Chaos Theory or Complexity Science while I was looking at it from the scientific disciplines, but as soon as I had to apply the concepts to the leadership discipline, I was lost.  It was not until I read about the Morning Star Company that I could see how polyarchic operations took place.  It moved quickly from there.  I believe I understand polyarchy and CAL now, but I am far from being an expert.

So, my newly found understanding of Obolensky’s (2014) organization is that more is placed on the shoulders of the workers.  As a result, my thinking has changed on a couple of issues.  First, new hires/followers will need to reach a significantly higher level of capability than in traditional organizations.  They are expected to be self-managed and fully capable.  Second, followers will be evaluated in terms of skill, will (motivation), and maturity (pp. 157-161).  Measuring skill is cut and dry, measuring motivation is quite a bit more subjective, and measuring maturity is harder yet.  Leader and follower interaction will be far more involved than I have ever known.  It will be a challenge for the even the brightest leaders.  This represents a significant departure from any initial skills training in which I have ever been involved. 

If I were to go back in to an organizational leadership role, followership development would be a good match for me and would be in line with my goals of helping young people to become leaders.  I would prefer that my work in the leadership field from this point be voluntary and to the benefit the leadership community by influencing high school students to consider a career in leadership.  I believe the majority of the students have heard the bad things, amplified.  I also believe no one has ever taken the time to explain the good side, the options, and opportunities.  With that said, I never say never, anything could happen. 

So if I came back to work, I would still be in line with my goals.  The implications of this assessment are significant in terms of cost, time in training, training structure.  Initial skills training is accomplished in traditional organization using a mix of techniques to include skills development courses, on-the-job-training, and independent study.  The polyarchic organization will require those skills plus additional efforts for self-management techniques.  Daily sessions with the leader that focus on motivation and maturity is also a requirement (Obolensky, 2014, pp. 157-163). 

Followership development consists of Skill/Will and Level 5 Followership.  Level 5 Followership is primarily dependent on leadership behavior.  Leadership behavior to some extent also affects Skill/Will development.  Motivation is dependent on leadership behavior, internal and external factors, and the 4+ 4 principles.  Each of the components can affect the others.  Therefore, looking at one component in isolation of the others is not recommended (p. 159).  It is for these reasons followers would be dedicated to training full time each day.  While there are followers in training, leader(s) as necessary need to be dedicated full-time to make sure followers continue to make progress.  Motivation is the fragile component.  If motivation drops and is undetected, it could put the follower back in every component.  Having daily interaction is important.  Obolensky (2014) describes the optimal output of the followership development program will be a follower with high skill and high will who has reached the highest level in Level 5 followership.  This individual will integrate into the operational team transparently and will function as part of the team immediately (p. 163).  Having completed followership development, the individual is now ready for leadership development (p. 158). 

The process of developing followership is dynamic.  It is affected by the environment, and it changes, what it does not do is adapt to the environment.  Adjustments are made by the leader.  Therefore followership development is not complex.  However, the follower will have all the principles in place and will become part the complex adaptive system or team.

Final thoughts on the leader follower relationship:

The leader follower relationship would definitely be different in this context than in the traditional leadership role.  In the complex organization, followership development is achieved by making small adjustments on a frequent basis to ensure progress continues and the follower maintains performance at the highest levels.  To accomplish this, the leader and the follower interact every day and discuss some relatively personal topics like motivation and maturity and the reasons they change.  A trust is developed and a better understanding of each other at deeper levels is expected.  The relationship must remain professional with each role in tact although it will gravitate towards friendship.  From the perspective of the organization it would be inappropriate and unacceptable.  But the what-if side creates an interesting twist.  After a while, the relationship pull toward friendship.  If the relationship is allowed to turn into friendship, that friendship would almost immediately cause irreparable damage because friends cannot communicate on that level for very long.  And the leader would lose the ability to affect change because the leader role was sacrificed.  Progress would stop and the follower would have to start over with a new leader.  The boss-subordinate relationship is the only one sustainable.  Incidentally, the boss-subordinate relationship would be more comprehensive and understanding.  Which is why I would try to include parts of followership development into the traditional organization.

What I have learned in this exercise is that some things grow and improve through the use of an iterative process.  It is true in followership development.  A human can only process a certain amount of information at one time, but they can add infinite amounts of information over time.  The process takes so long because information is being developed on many subjects.  During the iterative process it is easier to interfere with the process and corrupt the information, so to speak.  This is why the process cannot be rushed.  Once the process is complete, everything is locked in and is not likely to change.  I can apply this very concept to strategy.  In an environment that is changing, addressing strategy on a more regular basis and applying the changes that occurred since the last iteration keeps is developing strategy that is  more accurate and current than if strategy were addressed only once in a year.  I determined that the followership development process was not complex, but it is dynamic and changes regularly.  An iterative process is really the only way to capture the changes the leader uses to make individual program adjustments.  This may not be the only way to formulate strategy but given the circumstances, it is probably the best.

~Pete

Reference:


Obolensky, N. (2014). Complex adaptive leadership. (2nd edition.). London, UK: Gower/Ashgate 

No comments:

Post a Comment