Tuesday, October 11, 2016

A521.9.4.RB_BorutyAlan_Reflections on Leadership

Reflections on Leadership


In this chapter titled 'A different Kind of Leader', Denning departs from looking at leadership through storytelling.  By adopting interactive thinking, speaking, and acting and taking on the new capabilities that narrative enables, Denning believes one can accomplish what was inaccessible to someone operating only in the traditional command-and-control mode (Denning, 2011).  The different kind of leader and leadership he is referring to is called interactive.  Denning (2011) then lists and describes the dimensions as follows (p.270-271):

            ‘The interactive leader works with the world rather than against it.  In other words, the interactive leader does not try to force the outcome.  He involves his people, discusses the problem, and listens to their possible solutions instead of telling them and giving specific instructions. In doing this he eliminates the need to impose boundaries, incentives, and disincentives to get compliance.  This leader needs only to catalyze and channel his own energy (Denning, 2011).

            Interactive leadership both adds and subtracts elements from the leadership pallet.  The interactive leader adds capabilities by allowing his peoples idea to be heard, considered, and implemented effectively supplementing command, control, regulation, analysis, and optimization functions of management.  The interactive leader no longer has to enforce these functions.  By the same theory, the interactive leader subtracts the need to manipulate and win regardless of cost.  “It is not possible for leaders to exercise manipulative and spinning behavior in one part of their conduct and expect to be accepted as open, truthful, and trustworthy in other domains” (Denning, 2011 p. 270).

            Interactive leadership builds on personal integrity and on authenticity.  Benefits from an understanding of the different narrative patterns can be used to get things done in the world.  Some of these benefits include respect, trust, sound judgment, and values.

Interactive leadership doesn’t depend on the possession of hierarchical authority.  According to Denning (2011) “anyone and everyone who can help clarify the direction or improve the structure, or secure support for it, or offer coaching that improves performance is providing leadership” (p. 271).

Interactive leadership benefits from an understanding of the different narrative patterns that can be used to get things done in the world.  The leader must tell stories, not just talk about telling stories.  The better you are with narrative theories, the more effective you will become.  Narrative depends on emotional intelligence and uses it to achieve practical outcomes (Denning, 2011).

Denning goes on to say that interactive leadership participates, connects, is like conversation, is possible, fits the modern need, is not for everyone, is relatively free of ego, is like judo, has feeling, avoids ‘Apollo run amok’, and has beauty (Denning, 2011).


As a leader, I am honest, sincere, fair, consistent, and compassionate.  I take the time to know my people and I arrange my schedule so that I am available to them most of the time.   I came to this set of guiding principles after trying each new method that came to life during my career.  In each case, I felt like I was acting; I was not being myself.  When I finally decided to just be myself, I found success in leadership.  I do not control, I do not take credit for the outstanding work my people do, but I will take full responsibility when things go wrong.

Three of the interactive leadership dimensions that are part of the way I lead are: the interactive leader works with the world rather than against it, interactive leadership builds on personal integrity and authenticity, and interactive leadership doesn’t depend on the possession of hierarchical authority.

In working with and not against the world, manipulation and control of people is counter to one of my primary goals as a leader: developing the people for whom I have been given responsibility.  Using intimidation, threats, inappropriate rewards, or withholding information, resources, or advice may get me compliance, but it will not result in the worker feeling a sense of accomplishment.  I want the worker to be proud of an achievement for solving a problem using his own skills and abilities.  Even though the problem was pointed out to the worker, the solution was all theirs.  This holds true for everyone following my leadership.  The tasks and difficulty level will be different for the newest member, and the most experienced member, but if I have done my job, the sense of accomplishment will be the same.

‘Interactive leadership demands that I not only lead by example, but serve as a surrogate mentor to the people in my organization.  All leaders live in a fish bowl.  It does not matter whether they are interactive, situational, transformational, servant, or bad, leaders are watched.  The reading describes how the interactive leader earns respect, belief in their honesty, trust, and a number of other virtues.  These virtues are part of the interactive leader.  The interactive leader’s behavior is rewarded with respect, trust, and belief.  Because it is expected, recognized and acknowledged, and rewarded, the reinforced behavior is repeated.  I serve as that ‘surrogate’ mentor to my people because integrity is critical and it is fragile.  Trust, respect, credibility, etc., are all bestowed and can be taken back in a flash.  Let someone see you do something they perceive as inconsistent with the status you have been given.  It is difficult, at best, to earn it back.  It is also important because it is smart, polite, right, and in many cases it is a condition of employment.  The interactive leader is involved and engaged no matter what the issue may be.  

‘Interactive leadership doesn’t depend on hierarchical authority’ is simply stated in the text and true as written.  Anyone and everyone with an idea to share, a plan to execute, desire to make things better is already thinking like a leader.  It is time to assess and begin developing those skills.  If you do nothing, the behavior will stop.  I would, at minimum, talk with the worker and encourage that thinking. 

~Pete


Reference:

Denning, S. (2011). The Leader's Guide to Storytelling: Mastering the Art and Discipline of Business Narrative. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment