Monday, July 11, 2016

A520.6.4.RB_BorutyAlan – Team Roles

Team Roles

As teams mature fully into the performing stage of development and have become highly effective or even high-performing, how do they continue to grow and improve upon their already high level of performance?  If they still have not accomplished their primary goal at their current level of performance, without continued improvement it is possible that the team could begin to stagnate and eventually fail.  It So how do you squeeze more performance out of a team that is already performing above the norm?  Turns out the answer is peer pressure, sort of.

Highly effective and high-performing team members generally have high mutual trust within the team, are unconditionally committed to the team, feel responsible to train and further develop each other, seek ways to continuously improve the team and its processes (Whetten & Cameron, 2016).  In a way they have become so connected that their behavior and comments have a profound effect on the behavior.  This effect can be positive or negative on goal accomplishment.  The individual members of the team take on roles based on their personality and natural tendencies.  Two types of positive or advantageous roles that members take on are task-facilitating roles and relationship building roles.

Task-facilitating roles as one might expect are focused on task completion. There are many task facilitating roles to include direction giving, information seeking, information giving, elaborating, urging, monitoring, process analyzing, reality testing, enforcing, and summarizing.  Even if the team only has one member performing these roles, they work more efficiently.  Without someone performing as a task facilitator, the team loses focus and is slower to achieve their goals (Whetten & Cameron, 2016).

As I stated earlier, teams at this level of performance are highly connected and committed to each other as well as the team.  Relationship-building roles improve the interpersonal side of the team.  The relationship builders support, harmonize, relieve tension, confront, energize, develop, build consensus and empathize.  They are all about helping team members to feel good about each other and the work they do.  It is ideal to have a balance of task and relationship roles: too much of either can be counterproductive (Whetten & Cameron, 2016).  

People tend to lean toward either task or relationship roles, but can overlap between the two.  I am definitely a task facilitator.  As a team member, I am much more comfortable solving problems, analyzing data, looking for options and alternatives.  As I progressed in rank, I had to learn to do both.  I was and still am uncomfortable with the feel good role, but understand the importance of attending to both roles.  

As a leader in an organization though, I am more relationship oriented.  I am not sure why that is exactly, but I believe it is the environment.  On a team of peers focused on a goal, I  want to be part of the solution.  In the organization, my task is to develop the people assigned to me and prepare them for increased responsibility.  Providing guidance, support, encouragement and praise in this role is what feels right. 

Reference:
Whetten, D. A., Cameron, K. S. (2016), Developing management skills (Ninth edition). Pearson Education, Inc. ISBN: 978-0-13-312747-8. (student edition)

Just an afterthought:

I had some difficulty with this module.  I did not expect to at all.  I was in the Air Force.  Teams and meetings are an everyday occurrence.  From the beginning, this material conflicted with what I thought I knew and it effected my learning.  At first, I read the material and somehow made it match what I expected to be in the reading.  As discussions started, I realized I was not on the same level with my class mates, much like I had not even read the same material.  I went back to the reading with a more open mind which helped, but it still left a few holes in high-performing teams.  As a result, I will continue my studies in this area.

~Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment