Saturday, November 28, 2015

A511.6.3.RB_BorutyAlan - Meaning

Meaning
Meaning.  The meaning of life is the first thing that comes to my mind.  This question has been asked for as long as people have existed.  It continues to be asked even today.  It is the subject of self-help books, seminars, friendly gatherings, and campfire queries.  Scholars have pondered the subject to exhaustion.  Why?  Because there is no answer that applies to every case.  Meaning is so abstract, so subjective that if you asked 100 people, you would get 100 different answers.  However, as a leader, I am expected to help answer that very question for everyone in my charge.  Wow, I have not been able to answer it for myself.  Okay, time for an attitude check...yes that was the wrong attitude.  Back to helping employees find meaning in their work. 

It occurred to me that I honestly do not know what meaning is when used in this context.  People find their calling, or achieve purpose in their work, I get that.  However, I really do not believe those words are interchangeable with meaning.  The Merriam-Webster Dictionary (online) defines meaning as "significant quality; especially: implication of a hidden or special significance" (2015).  I think I need a second opinion.
An article on this very subject but focused on college students, suggests that young adults (18 -24 years old) are trying to find identity, direction...a stable sense of self.  This is also when their search for meaning begins.  Having a sense of purpose and meaning in one's life is attributable to psychological health and well-being.  Purpose, significance, and calling are all important aspects of meaning but neither of them adequately captures meaning on its own (Adams, 2012).  So meaning is, “the extent to which people comprehend, make sense of, or see significance in their lives, accompanied by the degree to which they perceive themselves to have a purpose, mission, or over-arching aim in life” (Adams, 2012 pg. 2, as quoted by Steger, 2009).

Finding a sense of meaning has an impact in the work place as it does one’s health.  Workers that have found meaning in their life and work are more actively engaged at work, stay with their jobs longer, are more satisfied, and are more productive (Shaunessey, 2015).

With benefits that include better physical and mental health and improved satisfaction, performance, and longevity.at work, helping employees to find meaning in their work makes perfect sense.  But, how do I?  Sometimes I do not convey meaning well enough to be correctly understood.  I do not want to be responsible for helping one find the wrong meaning.  But there are ways that leaders can help without interfering.  We cannot and should not assign meaning for them, but we can and should be there for them as they search.  We can question, coach, observe, point out their strengths, and find out at a deeper level exactly who they are.  Leaders talk to their people regularly in both formal and informal settings.  We help them set goals and celebrate their achievements.  Why not talk about things that cause our people to reflect on passion, purpose, values, and morals as it applies to their work, home life, and life in general?  Reflective or critical thinking is a process of thinking things through without being influenced by personal bias or stereotypes.  Once one learns the process, understanding anything can and does happen at a much deeper level (Nosich, 2012).  It is at this level of understanding that I believe questions like meaning are answered.  It is at this deeper level of understanding themselves that makes personal happiness, passion and motivation and, ultimately, meaning easier to find.  

Meaning in life and work is complicated, subjective, and uniquely defined for every person.  It is important for the leader to understand that they can help (if allowed), but they must do so from the listening, encouraging, and supporting points of view.  Many of the guidelines for inspirational leadership would apply to a discussion on finding meaning.

·         Explain in detail the impact that finding meaning has had on your life and the lives of others
·         Tell them exactly how they can and what they need to do to achieve their own sense of meaning
·         Be confident and optimistic about the process
·         Believe in them and their ability to succeed
·         Use language that inspires excitement and encourages action
·         Let them see meaning (attitudes, positivity, energy, and direction) in your day to day activities
·         Be available and prepared to answer questions, provide examples, and show that you care.

I know that happy people are less stressed, more focused, are easier to work with, and seem to get more enjoyment out of the things they do.  Research suggests that a sense of meaning can have an even greater effect on people.  

At this point, I am intrigued, but not convinced. I need to review more of the literature on meaning to fully understand the concept and do some critical thinking to understand why I feel as I do.  Why was my default reaction disbelief?  I guess that is work to do.

References:

Adams, C. M. (2012). Calling and career counseling with college students: Finding meaning in work and life. Journal of College Counseling, 15(1), 65-80. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/1015180444?accountid=27203

Merriam-Webster Dictionary, 2015. Online. Retrieved from: www.merriam-webster.com

Nosich, G. M. (2012). Learning to think things through: Critical thinking across the curriculum. Columbus, OH: Prentice Hall.
(ISBN: 9780137085149)

Shaunnessey, T. (2015). Finding meaning in work can benefit companies, employee mental health. Professional Safety, 60(6), 21. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/1686810293?accountid=27203

Yukl, G. (2013). Leadership in organizations (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment