Leadership Traits
I find it interesting that for as long as I have been a student of Leadership it still seems like every time I open a different book on the subject, I find behaviors that I am familiar with and have done at some point but the I do not recognize its name. It is very possible that I confused names processes along the way...or just forgot. I do that sometimes. I have chosen to believe and run with the premise that I confused things because I know unless a study resulted in significant findings that changed entire theories, processes, and ideas, research scientists would not change the name of said theories, processes, and ideas. Unfortunately, studies designed to measure what makes a good leader, what determines if a leader is effective or how a leader should behave in a certain situations have been hit and miss at best. Research continues and is improving as more is learned. Better contingency theories are needed to help managers overcome challenges ahead of them. Any new theories should include both universal and situational elements (Yukl, 2013).Most of us have heard at one time or another,"(s)he is a natural born leader". While it is true that some people are born with personality and charisma that other people want to follow, the superficial image is just that , a hollow shell waiting to be filled with leader stuff. These traits associated with leaders have been points for discussion and research since the beginning of leadership research. Natural born leaders may or may not have a head start based on traits, but still must grow the skills necessary for success. There are many ways to grow those skills but they are learned and must be developed or grown (Norris, 2011).
While research continues to search for the definitive answer, leadership in the trenches continues. Leaders are charged with motivating, inspiring and directing their teams or subordinates to get "the job" done. Managerial motivation is a skill developed and applied by leaders to incentivize better performance. The leader/manager must know subordinates well and individually. People are not all attracted to or motivated by the same input at the same time. Motivating subordinates is very important to the success of any operation or task. Productivity is said to be the product of motivation and ability. So, if motivation is zero, then productivity is zero (Belak & Dvorski, 2014). People are motivated by things like achievement , esteem, affiliation, power and independence. Finding the right mix is the leader's challenge. We must also remember that the leader is also a follower. Motivating the leader is also necessary. People, circumstances, and situations are not static. As things change, adjustments have to be made. "Motivation as a factor of individual success or failure is an established concept and research evidence is clear that motivation in general has a major impact on the success of both profit and non-profit organizations'' (Belak & Dvorski, 2014).
Traits have always been a subject of interest. Science has attempted to link certain traits with people who become leaders or take on leadership roles. The number of studies over the decades has failed to produce conclusive results. However, personality traits of leaders can help determine whether a leader will be effective (Yukl, 2013). Traits like energy level, emotional maturity, integrity, self-confidence and achievement orientation can be associated with effective leaders.
I am most comfortable in the participative leadership style in a supportive role. My stronger points are coaching, emotional intelligence, team building, motivation, communication and problem solving. I know my weaknesses, being aware of them helps me avoid traps and helps me to work through those situations when they come up. Conflict is one of those weaknesses. I am not an in your face leader. I have learned to listen to opposing viewpoints for value and, if possible, find compromise. Conflict damages teams. It has to be resolved quickly. Today, I know when to mediate and when to make the final decision. No one wins if the team falls apart.
Day to day, I do not think about my action or behavior in a given situation as fitting in to a particular style or theory. Each situation is different and requires that I address it differently. Sometimes it just feels right. After reading about contingency theories, I do not see one as the solution. I do not think we will ever find a one size fits all theory, style or solution. I see things in each theory that apply to me or have at some point. I can also see that understanding potential causal effects of my action before I take that action is good. Understanding the theories at the how they work level will benefit me. I will be able to share this understanding with my employer to help make more educated decisions that will have an effect on employees.
There is so much information, so many possibilities, so many configurations it is almost deflating. If I get lost in the details, it seems like I no longer understand something I once thought I was good at.
References:
Belak, V., & Dvorski, K. (2014). Impact of motivators on
managerial behavior. Paper presented at the 1099-1112. Retrieved from
http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/1635276176?accountid=27203
Norris, Terrie S, CSP,A.R.M., C.P.S.I. (2011). Grow your
leadership skills. Professional Safety, 56(8), 1. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/904987990?accountid=27203
Yukl, G. (2013). Leadership in organizations (8th
ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall
No comments:
Post a Comment