Saturday, September 22, 2018

A635.7.3.RB_BorutyAlan_INSEAD Reflection


INSEAD Reflection - Self-Managed Work Teams
Self -managed work teams (SMWT) are a relatively new entity employed by companies.  Globalization, increased diversity, the speed of technological improvements, and the rapid rate of change in the work environment have forced companies to make changes to remain competitive (Esraelian, 2008). 
The benefits associated with SMWTs make them an attractive means of combating, at least, some of the challenges faced by companies today.  In broad terms, SMWTs increase organizational effectiveness and employee satisfaction.  Specifically, they increase customer satisfaction, lower operating costs, produce higher quality solutions, retain employees, rapidly respond to changes in technology, increase innovation and creativity, and promote organizational growth through learning.  On an individual level, SMWTs provide motivation, personal growth, job satisfaction, sense of community, fulfilling relationships, leadership development, empowerment, and trust (Esraelian, 2008).
Suffice it to say the benefits associated with SMWTs are significant.  One might wonder why every organization has not fully implemented SMWTs.  The answer is simple.  SMWTs represent a significant departure from ‘business as usual’ for the organizations that utilize them.  Employing SMWTs requires substantial changes in the way a company is organized, communicates, and operates.  Additionally, implementing SMWTs requires management commitment to carefully selecting members and patience while training team members and transferring responsibilities (Brown, 2011).  It is not an overnight process; it will take time.  After the teams are operational, they require continued attention from management for training and for performance rewards and recognition.  These teams are an investment, not a decision. 
SMWTs are not easy, cheep, or fast to implement in an established organization.  However, for some organizations they may be the only viable solution.  In these cases, proactive rather than reactive implementation is the smart choice.  Implemented correctly, the benefits gained can easily exceed the drawbacks they present. 
While the concept of the SMWT contradicts everything that I have experienced working in organizations throughout my career, I would like to be a part of one.  Brown (2011) provided me with an image of what a SMWT member might experience.  I like the idea of being in control of my work.  I like the idea of work beginning, maturing, and completing with the same team.  I like the idea of being able to learn every aspect of the job and being able to have an impact on the final product.  I would enjoy the close professional relationships that develop in SMWTs.  And finally, knowing that I make meaningful and important contributions to the organization’s objectives and ultimately its success is also very appealing to me.  I am certain that reality would hit me in the face almost immediately, but I would still like to try it anyway.
The role of the external manager was the primary subject discussed in the INSEAD video.  It is a paradox of sorts.  Why would you need to lead a team that leads itself?  SMWTs take on all the leadership responsibilities within the team.  Those skills have to be developed which is the role of the external manager.  Leadership within the team is the typical directive style.  According to Paul Tesluk, Associate Professor of Management and Organization at the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland, the external manager’s style is very different.  It is not directive or even suggestive, it is developmental, informational, and educational (INSEAD, 2008).
I think I would be a good external manager of a SMWT.  I would have to make some adjustments and I am sure I would make a few mistakes along the way, but I do not see any impossible hurdles in the way.  Brown (2011) described the role “as an energizer, teacher, and facilitator by encouraging the team’s self-managing behaviors, learning, goal setting, creativity, self-evaluation, feedback to one another, new ways of problem solving, and group problem solving” (p. 352).  To be effective in this role I would need to improve my coaching skills.  I would need to shift my focus from running the show and getting things done to teaching and guiding the team to do it on their own.  Coaching skills would have me asking questions instead of making statements or giving directions.  Instead of taking the lead, I would encourage them to take the lead (Obolensky, 2014). 
Another competency I would need to work on is emotional intelligence.  I would need to enhance my emotional intelligence and apply it at the work team level.  According to Jordan and Lawrence (2009), “emotional awareness and emotional management abilities have important consequences for performance within teams, helping to maintain effective and appropriate relationships with fellow workers (Jordan & Troth 2004), contributing to better information exchange and decision-making in teams (Pelled, Eisenhardt & Xin 1999) and facilitating functional conflict resolution, rather than dysfunctional conflict resolution in teams (Jehn & Mannix 2001; Jordan & Troth 2004)” (p. 454).  This will help me to understand the team dynamic.  By understanding how the team works together, I can better determine when I should intervene and when I should allow the team to progress on their own. 
I like the idea and concept of SMWTs.  I admit my lack of experience with them could create blind spots, but the potential good they offer to an organization should not be overlooked.  Many say SMWTs are they way work will be done in the future.  The work environment today is changing fast enough to bring the future to us before we can effectively plan for it.  Perhaps SMWTs should be the way we work today.
~Pete
References
Brown, D. R. (2011). An experiential approach to organization development (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
Esraelian, J. (2008, March 18). Creating self-directed work teams. Accessed 2018, September 22 from http://globalhealthleader.blogspot.com/2008/03/creating-self-directed-work-teams.html
INSEAD (Producer) (2008, September 22). Self-managing teams: Debunking the leadership paradox. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBnR00qgGgM
Jordan, P. J., & Lawrence, S. A. (2009). Emotional intelligence in teams: Development and initial validation of the short version of the workgroup emotional intelligence profile (WEIP-S). Journal of Management and Organization, 15(4), 452-469. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/233255983?accountid=27203
Obolensky, N. (2014). Complex adaptive leadership: Embracing paradox and uncertainty (2nd ed.). Burlington, VT: Gower Publishing Company.


No comments:

Post a Comment