Sunday, November 5, 2017

A633.3.4.RB_BorutyAlan_Complexity Science

Complexity Science

I am a product of the Air Force.  I understand hierarchical organizations.  From the time I entered until the day I retired I knew every link in my chain of command from my immediate supervisor to the Commander in Chief.  Over the years, I saw many organizational changes.  Some of them were very significant.  None of them changed the overall hierarchical structure.  The military departments are all hierarchies and that is exactly what they need to be.  That does not mean that hierarchical do not evolve.  While it is true that they are still a strict top down command and control hierarchy, they have made changes and improvements in many areas.  Those changes generally follow improved processes, advancements in technology, and better understanding of concepts.  Strategy development has indeed evolved since I first enlisted in 1982.  Back then strategy was developed at the top.  The pieces of that development eventually trickled down to the rank and file (usually via the read file), but it was not completely clear, it was fixed and directive, and I felt no ownership at all.  This falls in line with a Type 1 organization, Functional Silo (Obolensky, 2014).  Disclaimer:  My impression of the process may be flawed for several reasons.  It was a long time ago and more significantly my point of view truthfully did not include the Air Force Strategy.  As a new Airman many, many subjects were simply above my paygrade.  I did however know the quickest way to wash, wax, and buff the shop floor.  I along with all of the other Airmen with similar tenure and station performed that duty often.
A few years later, was a new Staff Sergeant, a new supervisor, and a new non-commissioned officer.  My point of view had expanded and the Air Force expected more from me.  I recall reading the announcement for the Strategic Planning Conference.  I was not invited of course.  The wing commander would attend.  What I saw was a tasking to the group commanders for input.  Eventually that tasking was levied on the squadron commanders to provide input to their group commanders.  After all, it is a hierarchy.  Which may be the genesis of the phrase misery loves company.  Things that involved work flowed down freely.  Golf tournaments and happy hour could be handled at higher levels.  This is the first time I recall a request for strategy inputs or realized that such a conference even existed.  The results of the conference took a long time to be released, but I did read the document.  It was not at all what I expected and it was mind numbingly boring.  However, I understood it, it was still fixed, and for some reason I felt some ownership, perhaps even pride after reading it.  This manifestation actually falls in line with the Type 2 organization, Cross-Functional Matrix (Obolensky, 2014).  Near the end of my career, I was Chief Master Sergeant and Group Superintendent.  The process had not changed.  The announcement of the conference came, the tasking rolled down hill, and the conference took place.  The document was released much faster (everyone had computers).  This time the release was announced in conjunction with commander’s call.  The wing commander actually held four sessions to discuss the outcome of the conference.  Everyone was invited (mandatory attendance) and I found it informative.  I was unsure why he chose to conduct the briefings, but was glad that he did.  It is important that everyone be aware of the organizations strategy and path forward.  Strategy will not evolve into the bottom up categories or become fluid due to the nature of the business.  But it can be clearly understood and at least partially owned.  In May of 2015 the Air Force released its first ever Strategic Master Plan.  It is a 20-year plan that took nine months to write.  It will be updated every two years.  It is 65 pages long.  I will include a link to the document in the references for your reading pleasure.
Feedback in the Air Force has completely evolved since I first enlisted.  Feedback was not required nor was it conducted for the first six years I was in.  Feedback only happened when someone had done something wrong or was otherwise in trouble.  It was the same for counseling.  There were no positive connections to either of those events.  Feedback was a one-way boss to subordinate feedback typical of Type 1 organizations(Obolensky, 2014).
I was in Leadership School the first time anyone tried to explain how feedback and counseling were positive and should be done regularly.  All I could think was, you do not know my boss.  I also thought, this will not work.  I was being introduced to Situational Leadership and I was wrong.  It does work although my boss never gave in to it to my knowledge.  And the evolution took off in the normal Air Force manner from there.  Documented feedback sessions became mandatory for everyone twice per reporting period.  This transition was very difficult and widely resisted because of the way it was it was implemented.  But, eventually it took hold because actually talking to the people you supervise now and again is indeed a good thing.  It improved morale.  People knew what was expected of them.  Attitudes changed and performance improved.  People were happy…who knew?  The Air Force invests in its leaders at all levels.  The latest leadership theories are taught and explored.  Supervisors practice using e different techniques for providing feedback and conducting effective counseling sessions.  The evolution moved fast.  When I retired, 360 degree feedback was being taught and utilized.  This feedback is two-way communication between the boss and subordinate, it includes inputs from the subordinates peers and where it applies, inputs from outside contacts are discussed.  This is consistent with Type 3 organizations, CAS (Obolensky, 2014).  Evolution can and should occur within organizations regardless of its structure.  Obolensky (2014) is not teaching us otherwise.  His intent is to provide more than one way to recognize an organization’s progression as it transitions to a CAS organization. 
Over the next 10 years the Air Force will continue to evolve as it learns and applies lessons, Incorporates technology advancements, and as its learns from its new members who are getting smarter and more capable each year.  During all of this the Air Force will remain a strict hierarchy and I will remain retired.
~Pete
References:

Obolenski, N.,(2014). Complex adaptive leadership: Embracing paradox and uncertainty, (2nd ed). Farnham Surrey, England. Gowan PublishingLimited.

No comments:

Post a Comment