Sunday, January 29, 2017

A632.3.4.RB_BorutyAlan_Framing Traps

Framing Traps

Hoch, Kunreuther, & Gunther, tell us that “frames influence our thinking by simplifying issues” (2001, p.137).  But, influence is not always positive.  Framing can help us see things in a different light, but it also narrows our view placing other considerations in the dark.  If framing your thinking on the best travel option for a planned vacation abroad and deep rooted beliefs tell you flying is unsafe, you may want to plan a cruise.  Given the same scenario with the same information and end result, your frame can cause you to choose one clearly over the other.  This is called establishing yardsticks or reference points.  You will not choose an option that even appears to violate your yardstick.  The result was exactly the same.  Your yardstick distorted your thinking and made one choice the obvious best option to choose.  These distortions in thinking can be invisible to you thereby making your decisions less objective, perhaps even wrong (Hoch et al., 2001).

Frame blindness is when decision makers are unaware of how framing influences their thinking and ultimately their decisions.  Frame blindness is not normally an intentional error.  Most offenders are completely unaware and are surprised when their decision causes problems.  Regardless, frame blindness can have serious effects on an organization.  Internally, frame blindness can cause miscommunication, conflict between departments, morale problems, and accusations.  Externally blindness can be devastating.  Making blind decisions can result in career and company ending decisions.  While anything is possible, I personally do not see people effected by frame blindness making it to important decision-making positions on the corporate ladder
.
Frame blindness is but one of the framing traps that decision makers can fall into.  Other framing traps, are more likely to be seen in decision-making positions in business.  Choosing frames is not a passive activity.  The price for choosing the wrong frame can be very high (Hoch, et al., 2001).  Unfortunately these traps are easy to fall into if you fail to consider and choose frames correctly.

Framing traps can be avoided with some effort and practice.  Conducting a frame audit can help avoid traps under the premise that if you cannot see your own frames, how can you possibly manage them (Hoch, et al., 2001).  The audit consists of: 1) Surfacing your frames, 2) Understanding the frames of others, and 3) Appreciate Emerging frames.
 
I have been in frame traps more than I care to admit.  I have never consciously thought about frames until now.  It was always a matter of intuition and situational awareness.  Whatever it was it was automatic and it almost always kept me out of trouble.  Back in the late 1980’s I was a new Technical Sergeant (TSgt) in a new unit.  I am not sue if all new TSgts are cocky and over confident, but I was.  I went into my new boss’s office to introduce myself it was immediately awkward and uncomfortable.  I told him I was excited to be there and started talking about ways I felt I could help.  His response was to explain that he would decide what I could do.  Within a minute, he was angry and I was defensive.  I worked out of that office for almost a year before I moved overseas and we never communicated much better than that first day.  We constantly mistook the others point.  I failed to see my frame or his.  When I did see his frame, I did not adjust to something more compatible.  His frame was I am the boss and will not be questioned.  I was not willing to take on a submissive frame or stroke his ego.  He was not willing to even tone it down so I could work with him.  If I had on day one changed to a more subordinate frame, he would have eventually stepped off his throne and lightened up and we may have had a positive working relationship.  Either of us could have adjusted frames, but it was my responsibility to do that and I failed.

The second way to avoid framing traps is to ‘identify and change inadequate frames’ (Hoch et al., 2001).  I do not believe I realized that I approached and communicated with some people differently than others until late in my Air Force career and only then because I was told that it was an expectation.  And of course, I did my best to comply.  What I realized was many of the frames I used professionally were no longer effective, if they ever were.  As the “group Chief”, I decided to schedule time each week to manage by walking around.  When I first started this habit, I used a frame I used with friends.  I was trying to communicate with younger Airmen and hear their concerns, but was completely surprised by their reactions.  I got shock, suspicion, a couple of formal reports, one salute, and zero conversations.  After thinking about it for a while I understood.  I was the Chief, not their friend.  They expected me to be the Chief and did not want to be my friend.  I understood that position and while being their friend was out, I did not have to be the enemy.  I made the adjustments I thought I needed and my second MBWA tour went much better.  My goal was to ‘overhear’ some of the issues in their world and fix the ones I could.  I only made minor frame adjustments after that visit and only if I was seeing people I had not met before.  It took a few visits out and around the organization for people to get comfortable that I did not have an ulterior motive.  Through those visits I learned what was really happening in my organization.  The Airmen told their issues simply, truthfully, and accurately without embellishment or exaggeration.  And I acted on every issue they presented to me.  Some were out of my control, some I disagreed with, some were disapproved, and many I fixed.  I provided specific feedback on every issue explaining the disposition of the request.  It was effective and productive, and popular with the Airmen.  I got more things accomplished than I ever thought was wrong simply because it was important enough for me to change my approach when talking with Airmen in my group.  Hoch calls my first meeting and the reactions I got a frame misfit.  “Poor results, surprises (violations of expectations), inconsistencies, and difficulties communicating with others are indications of a weak frame.  Consider the possibility that your frame may be wrong or, at least, not perfect!”  (2001, p.147)

Finally, framing traps can be avoided if you ‘master techniques for reframing’ (Hoch, et al., 2001).  I cannot claim mastery in reframing although I have had to do a lot of reframing when I moved back home.  I was redefining who I am and what is important to me…a work still in progress.  I am in a new environment, my outlook on living is changing, different things are becoming important to me and they are replacing things that once were, and I am identifying what truly makes me happy.  All of these discoveries require reframing in some way.  I created frames where I had none before.  My hobbies fall into this category.  My relationship with my siblings required me to update old frames.  They did not change as much as they matured.  The slower paced, small town, everyone knows your business environment forced me to reframe on a number of occasions.  As I mentioned, frame work is still a work in progress.  Knowing what I know now, I suppose it always will be.

Reference:

Hoch, S. J., Kunreuther, H. C., &  Gunther, R. E. (2001). Wharton on making decisions. (1st edition.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment